Fitzroy House, Castle Meadow Campus, Nottingham, NG2 1BD
We are an independent directorate within HMRC with around 55 employees, the majority of whom are complaints investigators. We have offices in Nottingham and London.
The Adjudicator, Helen Megarry has independent and personal authority to resolve complaints about HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC), Valuation Office Agency (VOA) and the Home Office.
The Adjudicator’s Office:
• Resolves complaints that come to us by providing an accessible and flexible service and making fair and impartial decisions
• Supports and encourages effective complaint resolution and shares insight and expertise to support government departments to learn from complaints and improve services to customers
• Has a real opportunity to practice and influence change across government departments
• Is a values-led organisation and takes pride in our work by demonstrating our core values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Dynamism and Engagement in everything we do
• As an Investigator in the Adjudicator’s Office, you will be responsible for resolving complaints to deliver key business objectives to support the Vision and Purpose of the Adjudicator’s Office
For more information please visit our website at www.gov.uk/government/organisations/the-adjudicator-s-office
The Adjudicator’s Office Investigator is at the forefront of delivering high quality complaint resolution to our customers, as well as sharing our insight and our learning to support delivery of our Vision and Purpose:
You will make sound, independent decisions in accordance with our Quality Standards Framework to deliver an impartial service to all our customers.
You will contribute to the Adjudicator’s Office role of sharing learning with HMRC, the VOA and the Home Office to improve customer service in both the departments and in the Adjudicator’s Office.
These posts are full time however applicants who wish to work alternative working patterns are welcome to apply. The preferred working pattern may or may not be available, agreement will be subject to business need, and any request to work an alternative working pattern should be made prior to your acceptance of the provisional offer.
Responsibilities • Clarifying and defining our customers’ complaints. You will need to decide if this is clear from the complaint or it may be necessary to contact the customer. This will require critical thinking, analysis and good verbal and written communication skills
• Analysing and understanding what led to the complaint, checking for accuracy with the relevant government department and the customer to identify any further information or evidence that you require to make a decision
• Writing decision letters to a high standard, ensuring they are clear, logical and evidence-based
• Using complaints to identify learning and share those lessons to maximise the value of complaints to both the Adjudicator's Office, HMRC, the VOA and the Home Office, providing feedback to influence and improve customer service
• Exercising your judgement in how you carry out your work, manage your workload and work collaboratively with colleagues to ensure complaints are handled in line with the Adjudicator’s Quality Standards and we meet our corporate objectives
• You will be expected to play an active part in our organisational development and provide support on office initiatives and projects
• You will have the opportunity to help shape the way the Adjudicator’s Office works in the future, helping to develop a progressive culture as we champion our core values and promote diversity and wellbeing
• Excellent decision-making and critical thinking skills and the confidence to make decisions based on evidence from various sources or where there is a lack of evidence
• Excellent communication skills including explaining complex issues in easy to understand ways, both in writing and in person
• Experience or knowledge of working in a complaint handling environment or in a professional area delivering a high standard of customer service
• A positive can-do approach, demonstrating enthusiasm and commitment
• Good time management skills and the ability to manage your own workload
• Experience of working in a values-led organisation