Roke imagines a more secure world. A world where technology protects, rather than exposes. A world where expert engineers, consultants and business support staff collaborate to protect what matters most to our clients.
We are a friendly and flexible team with a culture of ‘time, trust and freedom’. The role may give the opportunity to work on client site, from the office, in shared workspaces or from home as necessary. We pride ourselves on listening to each other’s aspirations and accommodating wherever possible.
Roke is a leading technology and engineering company with clients spanning National Security, Defence, Consulting and Industry areas. We work alongside our customers to solve their complex and unique challenges.
Your projects will be diverse – working with varying clients, across a number of sectors, using a range of skills. Consequently, we are looking for individuals able to work flexibly across projects in different domains. You might apply your skills to rapidly prototype new approaches and solutions. Equally, you may apply them to complement or advance existing solutions.
As part of Roke’s wider Sensors and Communications Profession, you will have the opportunity to work on a very wide range of projects from fundamental research, to consultancy, to bespoke electronic system design.
Why We Want You
You can expect to:
Your skills and experience
- Undertake and lead the design, development, integration and testing of antennas and radio systems
- Conduct studies to determine antenna requirements or compare solutions
- Contribute expertise across a broad range of projects
- Develop innovative and cutting-edge solutions
- Contribute to and lead discussions with customers
- Support the Project Design Authority and Project Manager
- Undertaking engineering development tasks to time, budget and quality
- Provide estimates of complexity and identify risks
- Engage with other technical experts
A 2:1 degree or above in a relevant discipline (e.g. electronics, physics, maths) is highly preferred. You will ideally have 5 years’ experience in at least two of the following disciplines:
- Antenna EM simulation (ideally using Ansys HFSS, but also CST, FEKO, etc.)
- Design of integrated antennas: patch, inverted-F, PIFA, loop
- Design of broadband antennas: log periodic, horn, Vivaldi, spiral, etc.
- Fabrication and assembly of prototypes, including PCB design techniques
- Use of RF test equipment (VNAs, spectrum analysers, anechoic chambers)
- Mathematical modelling, for example using Matlab
- Scripting/equipment automation (e.g. Python, Matlab, VBA, LabVIEW)
- RF circuit design
- Radio propagation measurement/modelling
Deep knowledge of two or more of the following domains would be beneficial:
- Wireless Communication
- GPS and GNSS
- Signals intelligence
- Electronic warfare
Beyond your technical skills, you will be proactive and able to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders. You will work well alone or as part of a team. You will be curious and seek out the best approach/solution/tool for the job at hand.
Why You Should Join Us
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection and Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies and techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.
Due to the nature of this position, we require you to be willing and eligible to achieve a minimum of SC/DV clearance. To qualify, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 5 years for SC and 10 years for DV. For more information about clearance eligibility, please see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/security-vetting-and-clearance.