Roke is a world-class technology and engineering consultancy. Roke delivers advanced research, development services and products to high profile customers who come to Roke with varied and challenging problems to solve.
The Service organisation within the NS Business Unit is organised into Service Lines, and we follow a process framework based on ITIL practices. Our focus is on operating and governing the delivery of services to our customers to the right quality, cost, and performance. The Second Line
Engineer plays a critical role in operating the service, providing proactive and reactive support according to incident, request, problem, and change management processes, working directly with the customer and the technologies driving the service, to deliver, maintain, and improve.
We are a friendly and flexible team with a culture of ‘time, trust and freedom’. The role may give the opportunity to work on client site, from the office, in shared workspaces or from home as necessary. We pride ourselves on listening to each other’s aspirations and accommodating wherever possible.
We are looking for an application support engineer, ideally with experience in supporting Java applications, to join the service team responsible for supporting a bespoke enterprise Java application.Primary Job Purpose
Personal Attributes, Values and Competencies
- To provide day-to-day operational support, request fulfilment, and proactive management of technical services provided to the customer
- Act as a main point of customer engagement for technical requests and issues, change planning and implementation
- Triage and diagnose incidents, determining and enacting resolution/fix, root cause analysis and documentation
- Assist in the development of fixes to resolve problems identified through root cause analysis.
- Plan, risk assess, and execute against requests, technical changes, and proactive management (patching, updates, testing and implementing planned changes) required
- Good communication skills both verbal and written
- Good problem solving skills
- Customer Service and quality orientated
- Ability to work to defined procedures and performance KPIs
- Excellent attention to detail
Health, Safety and Environment
- Initial customer call management, logging, triage and resolution of incidents and requests.
- Implement fixes where a known solution or workaround exists.
- Update tickets and inform Service Desk and/or customer of progress.
- Perform planned work tasks and maintenance on solutions, configuration changes, and release/deployments.
- Escalate incidents and problems to third party suppliers.
- Provide knowledge base / known error DB updates (documenting and providing updates to colleagues and customers.
- Initiate and support continual service improvement through identification of opportunities and ownership of activities to effect positive change.
- Always fully comply with Roke’s policies and procedures.
- Undertake such other reasonable duties, commensurate with the job holder’s experience and qualifications, as may be required for the smooth operation of the business.
- Ensure ongoing compliance with access controls, information security management, and configuration management processes.
- Support effective service validation and testing
- Conduct equipment installations
Education and Qualifications
- Health and Safety responsibilities are:
- Act in accordance with Company Health and Safety policies and procedures
- Carrying out any work in accordance with any training
- Using any equipment in a safe and appropriate manner
- Informing your Line Manager of any health and safety problems and immediately stopping any unsafe activity until adequate measure have been taken to remove the risk or reduce it to as low as possible.
- Degree in a science or engineering subject or equivalent industry experience.
Knowledge, Skills & ExperienceEssential: Desirable:
Why You Should Join Us
- Software development, testing, diagnostics
- Java/Web Apps/SOA
- SQL (preferably OracleDB)
- Previous IT service or support experience desirable
- Previous experience in a customer facing role desirable
We have a competitive salary and access to a number of additional flexible benefits, which will cover Health and Wellbeing, Savings and Protection & Life, Leisure and Entertainment.
Roke has a great community of groups with shared interests. These enable people to share ideas and be passionate about tools, technologies & techniques, which interest them.
We are committed to a policy of Equal Opportunity, Diversity and Inclusion. Our working environment is friendly, creative and inclusive. We will consider flexible working arrangements and support a diverse work-force and those with additional needs.Security Information
Due to the nature of this position, candidates must already hold current Enhanced DV
Clearance or at least be willing and eligible to obtain this. To qualify, you should be a British Citizen and have resided in the UK for the last 10 years for DV. For more information about clearance eligibility, please see https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/united-kingdom-security-vetting-clearance-levels/national-security-vetting-clearance-levels
High level clearance bonus is available and will be considered on application.