Title: Apprentice Groundskeeper
Location: Lilleshall National Sports Centre, Newport, TF10 9AT
Working Week: 39 hours per week, Monday-Friday
Salary: £8,744 per annum plus benefits & 25 days annual leave
Apprenticeship Qualification: L2 Sports Operative
Expected Apprenticeship Duration: 18 months minimum
About the role
Originally built in 1831 as the hunting lodge and family retreat of the Duke of Sutherland, Lilleshall National Sports and Conferencing Centre is set in spectacular and secluded surroundings, and is a flagship residential training centre and award winning National Centre of Excellence for many of the UK's top sportsmen and women.
Here at Serco we are looking for an Apprentice Groundskeeper to join our friendly team at Lilleshall National Sports Centre to provide support and maintenance to grounds at the site throughout the year.
Reporting to the Grounds Supervisor, you'll work closely with the team to deliver a set programme of works as part of the maintenance regime to deliver a World Class sporting venue.
- To assist and deliver on a set programme works as part of the maintenance regime to deliver a World Class sporting venue.
- To understand Contract requirements, the specification of all works, the facilities within the location and the varying ground conditions within the facility.
- To attend college on required days and achieve set action plans
- Report to Senior Groundsman on daily basis and report progress on works and any matters which arise affecting delivery.
- To work as part of the team, putting forward suggestions and ideas for improvements in service provision.
- Responsible for the daily inspection and reporting procedure for machinery, prior and on completion of usage, including vehicles.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of machinery and vehicles.
- To ensure that all Health and Safety requirements are met.
- To undergo specific training to improve skill levels and knowledge of Contract requirements as and when defined training is identified as being required or available.
- To maintain excellent customer and client relations, particularly members of the public.
- To maintain a presentable appearance at all times with uniform and PPE provided.
Serco has a strong commitment to apprentices and training and as a successful Serco apprentice, you will be provided with unparalleled support throughout the duration of your of your programme. Your apprenticeship will be delivered by South Staffordshire College.
As part of your Apprenticeship you will learn how to Maintain the health of sportsturf, Maintain the condition of sportsturf surfaces, Renovate and repair sports surfaces (natural turf and artificial surfaces), Use and maintain ride-on powered equipment, Prepare and operate a tractor and attachments, mark out/over mark pitches as per booking requirements, complete renovation programmes, working to high standards
Strong communication and interpersonal skills
Willingness to undertake further training
Clean driving licence
Flexibility to work in all grounds areas
Things to consider
It is essential that you are able to travel daily to Lincoln to arrive on time for work. (Subject to Covid-19 social distancing arrangements). All employees involved in the delivery and/or management of employability provision may be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
You must be able to travel to Lilleshall National Sports Centre to arrive on time for work.
You must be prepared to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
Occasional weekend work may be required
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Serco, we see people first and foremost for their performance and potential. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from a diverse candidate pool. We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. We operate a hybrid work structure in many of our business areas. We are proudly a Disability Confident level 3 employer and holder of the Silver Inclusive Employer Standard. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
At Serco we support fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required). Please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000 to discuss.