Job Title: Assistant Chief Engineer - Strategic Systems (SWS/SWSS)
Business Unit: Submarine Support Engineering
Location: Devonport Dockyard, Plymouth
Salary: £53,020 - £64,883 (dependent on experience) with benefits
About the role
Here at Babcock International Group, we are looking to recruit a suitably qualified and experienced Chartered Engineer to fulfil the role of an Assistant Chief Engineer for Submarine Strategic Systems (Strategic Weapons System and Support Systems).
Babcock Naval Nuclear - Submarine Support Engineering (SSE) Team provides engineering management and technical support services to enable the delivery of the company's key contracted outputs to the client, essentially to deliver available and capable ships and submarines for the Royal Navy. The Maritime Missions Systems Team, within the SSE, contains both Strategic and Combat Systems Engineers who provide submarine engineering support services to the client, in addition to providing organic engineering support to the wider Babcock business across multiple sites.
Who we are looking for?
This is a new and exciting opportunity for a suitably qualified and experienced Engineering Lead to assume a key role in Babcock's contribution to the Submarine Strategic Weapons (SW) Enterprise. You will directly contribute to Naval Operations and the provision of safe, available and capable ships and submarines. You will deliver engineering support to Submarine Weapon Engineering systems through a customer focused, collaborative and integrated approach across Naval Nuclear.
How you will play your part
The principal focus of your role is to represent the Chief Engineer to deliver specialist advice and assurance to the planning and delivery of the V-Class Deep Maintenance Projects at the Devonport Dockyard. You will be expected to identify and deliver engineering process improvements in support of delivering the project to time, cost and quality. You will also play a major role in internal assurance for Babcock engineering activity in the field of SM Strategic Weapons System Engineering.
Other activities include:
- To provide engineering peer review
- To provide mentoring and development of Babcock Strategic Systems Engineers where appropriate
- To work collaboratively with industry partners within the SW Enterprise.
- To act as an internal Babcock subject matter expert on Submarine Strategic Weapons System, providing advice and facilitating coherent information exchange and conducting engineering peer reviews.
- Conduct internal and external reviews of complex submarine Strategic Weapons System issues and produce LFE reports.
The experience you will bring
You will need a Level 6 qualification in an engineering or science discipline or demonstrable equivalent experience. You will have experience with submarine operations, refit or overhaul. In addition, you will have experience of strategic weapon systems.
We would also like you to hold experience in the following:
- Member of a relevant professional institution (i.e. IET, IMechE etc.)
- Chartered Engineer status or working towards it
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in customer-facing roles
- Leading or contributing Continuous Improvement activities
You will need to satisfy security requirements. This may require you to hold or be eligible/capable of achieving 'Security Check' (SC) clearance. Lastly, you'll need to have worked with safety-critical systems and have change control/change management experience within projects and strategic systems knowledge for submarines.
What a role with Babcock offers
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
- 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
- Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
- Employee Share plan
- Free Independent Employee assistance programme (offering support and counselling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- A tailored personal development and training programme
- Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 2 weeks special paid leave
What else do I need to know?
You will ideally be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon.
The post will be based in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involves working with controlled goods, technology and/or services.
We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport Dockyard
As one of the Country's leading Defence Engineering Service providers, Babcock International Group, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear.
Armed Forces Covenant
We support the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our website to find out more.
All applications made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments, please let us know.