Band 6 Nurse (Civilian)
Are you professional and highly motivated with a drive for delivering excellent care? Are you looking to move into an exciting and rewarding role within The Ministry of Defence?
We have just the role for you here at the Medical Centre, Aldergrove. As a Band 6 Nurse you will be part of a multi-disciplinary primary healthcare team delivering general medical services and elements of occupational health to military personnel and, where appropriate, their dependants.
The Practice Nurse is responsible for the delivery of appropriate assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care needs, medical screening and advice to patients within their professional competence in line with current policy, guidelines and utilising agreed evidence-based practice. The Practice Nurse will work within the Nursing & Midwifery Council code of professional conduct and adhere to all Ministry of Defence standards, policies and guidelines.
MISSION: To deliver a unified, safe, efficient and accountable primary healthcare and dental care services for entitled personnel to maximise their health and to deliver personnel medically fit for operations.
If you feel you match the job description and would like help this great organisation take steps towards achieving their mission then please apply.
Duties and responsibilities of the role include but are not limited to:
• Demonstrating and confirming good practice in maintaining written and/or electronic records in accordance with best practice and regarding confidentiality in line with Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Standards for Record Keeping, Defence Medical Services (DMS) policy and local guidelines.
• Providing appropriate assessment of patient needs, developing individual plans of care. Implementing and evaluating individual planned programmes of care, undertaking technical nursing treatments for patients with complex/specialist healthcare needs e.g. wound care, cervical cytology tests.
• Administering and monitoring medications consistent with current DPHC policy, standards and legislation.
• Contributing towards preventative health programmes and health screening, opportunistic and agreed, including smoking cessation, diet, alcohol and sexual health in support of policy and guidelines.
• Ensuring cleanliness, adequate stock levels and maintenance of equipment held within the treatment room and nurse consultation rooms. This includes ensuring all equipment and work surfaces are cleaned before and after each session and between patients where applicable.
• Being able to carry out daily maintenance checks on the emergency equipment, completing the daily check sheets (MOD Form 373), and reporting any deficiencies to Medical Stores immediately.
• Providing nurses consultations, treatments and medications in conjunction with the Medical Officers and independently in accordance with agreed PGDs and protocols. Ensuring that all nursing consultations and treatments are recorded on Defence Medical Information Capability Programme (DMICP) and Coded appropriately.
For further job duties and responsibilities please see the attached Job Description and Person Specification.
Specialist knowledge across a range of procedures underpinned by theory. A Registered Nurse with professional knowledge acquired through degree/diploma, supplemented by diploma level specialist training, experience, short courses.
Must be registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
NHS Core – NHSC1 – Communication
NHS Core – NHSC2 – Personal & People Development
NHS Core – NHSC4 – Service Improvement
NHS Health & Wellbeing – HWB1 – Promotion of Health & Wellbeing
NHS Health & Wellbeing – HWB6 – Assessment & Treatment Planning
NHS Information & Knowledge – NHS IK2 – Information Collection & Analysis
• Access to learning and development tailored to your role
• A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity
• An NHS Pension
• Free Parking
• Access to gym membership
Things you need to know
Successful candidates must pass a disclosure and barring security check.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is security check .
People working with government assets must complete basic personnel security standard checks.
Selection process details
This vacancy is using Success Profiles , and will assess your Experience and Technical skills.
There is no requirement to deploy as this is met by our uniformed personnel, but you will form the continuity of care required by our patients when based at home.
Please be aware that if you are found successful you will be asked to provide evidence of your immunity to Hepatitis B.
The selection at sift stage will be based on your CV. At interview, you will be tested against the NHS Technical Skills Framework.
Please ensure you demonstrate that you have the required skills, qualifications and memberships in your CV and that you have saved it using your surname then first name prior to submitting your application.
To be eligible to be considered for this role, qualifications and memberships detailed must be held in full, prior to submitting your application.
Requests to work flexibly will be considered, taking into account business needs.
This vacancy is part of the A Great Place to Work for Veterans initiative. For more information copy and paste the following in to your browser or search gov.uk: Making-the-civil-service-a-great-place-to-work-for-veterans.