Job title: Building Services Engineer (9646) Location: Benbecula, Outer Hebrides
About the role
As a Multi-Skilled Service Engineer, you will be working with a global leader in defence to provide a variety of property maintenance and plumbing tasks as part of a wider team within our Benbecula site. You'll be overseeing the conduct of assigned contractors, monitoring the implementation & performance of tasks allocated. You will aid in the delivery of pre-planned and reactive maintenance of various infrastructure facilities to deliver various trade competencies (including the delivery of some plumbing as well as other trade competencies such as heating, ventilation or even building fabric, carpentry and mechanical systems). You're role will be to provide maintenance tasks of both trials equipment and the infrastructure for test and evaluation capabilities required at the Hebrides Range.
The Hebrides Range is located at various sites on the islands of South Uist, Benbecula and St. Kilda and is operated by QinetiQ on behalf of the Ministry of Defence under the terms of the Long Term Partnering Agreement (LTPA) contract. The site consists of Deep Range for complex weapons trials & in-service firings and an Inner Range for ground-based air defence campaigns.
What do I need?
The Building Services Engineer will be responsible for the delivery of statutory planned and reactive maintenance in accordance with the adopted standards and mandatory KPIs. Desirable qualifications and experience may include:
- An engineering or technical qualification such as an NVQ Level 3 or trade apprenticeship within a relevant discipline i.e electrical, mechanical or HVac
- Trade backgrounds such as Plumbing, Heating, Ventilation or even building fabric, Carpenter etc are also desirable
- A good knowledge and level of competency in other areas of building services such as BMS, electrical or mechanical services
- Competent Microsoft Office Suite User
- Full clean driving license
- Hold HUET certification, or demonstrate the desire and ability to achieve it.
- First aid and fire warden training;
- An understanding of the roles and responsibilities of Authorising Engineers and Authorised Persons.
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum.
Please visit the National Security Vetting Solution: Guidance for Applicants page via the GOV.UK website.
What will I be doing?
Building Service duties require taking control of all facilities issues raised from planned maintenance dockets, audits, closing out actions, regularly checking equipment and infrastructure - within planned, scheduled and reactive maintenance as required. Accountabilities may include:
- Integrating into an Out of Hours "On Call System"
- Delivering planned and reactive maintenance of infrastructure facilities, primarily focused on mechanical systems maintenance
- Maintaining baseline configuration records and maintenance documentation
- Employing your understanding of the relevant facilities and specialist disciplines
- Installation of equipment and infrastructure
- Usage of systems in support of operational activities
- Oversee the conduct of assigned contractors on site, monitoring the implementation & performance of tasks allocated. Duties may extend to other sites within the UK business during periods of peak activity.
Why join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. You'll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you'll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential. Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You'll receive a highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what's happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, adaptive and flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals, we are a world-centre of excellence in research and development and act as a catalyst for fast-track innovation, offering outstanding experimentation facilities, and technical, engineering and scientific expertise. Please note that many roles in QinetiQ are subject to national security vetting. Applicants that already hold the appropriate level of vetting may be able to transfer it upon appointment, subject to approval. A number of roles are also subject to restrictions on access to information that mean factors such as nationality, previous nationalities held and the country in which you were born may have an effect on the roles that you can be employed in.