About the role
Our Business Management degree apprenticeship will equip you with real-life management experience as you take on a paid, leadership role at a Tesco store in London. As well as having a passion for our products and motivating a team, you'll be making a difference, understanding what matters for our London customers and inspiring your colleagues to serve them a little better every day.
Alongside your management role in store, you'll be studying one day a week in central London, with tutors from the Kent Business School. Throughout your three-year degree apprenticeship, you'll be supported by your store leadership team as you work towards a BA (Hons) Business Management degree, awarded by the University of Kent. We'll pay you a salary and your tuition fees, as well as your travel expenses when you need to attend classes, so you can graduate without any debt!
You will be responsible for
You'll quickly take on responsibility, developing skills to become a Team Manager in a large London store within your first year. You'll spend your second year gaining management experience, so you're ready to lead a group of Team Managers, as you move into your third year. You'll also be studying for a BA in Business Management throughout the three years.
Introducing the University of Kent
Your degree course will be delivered by the University of Kent who pride themselves on providing a friendly, student-focused environment, which helps you to make the most of your studies. The course will give you a firm grounding in areas such as Management, Law, Finance, Marketing, Business and Strategic Planning.
Once you've gained your degree in Business Management, as well as the necessary skills and experience, we'll support you to make the move from one of our large stores to managing one of our London Express stores.
You will need
We're looking for self-motivated school leavers in eight London boroughs, with an energetic and enthusiastic attitude, not forgetting a passion for retail. You'll love a challenge and be able to think on your feet. The real success in this role will come from working as part of a team and being great with people. You'll also need to meet the minimum degree course requirements: English Language and Maths GCSE grade C/4 or above (or equivalent), eligible to study an apprenticeship in the UK and aged 18 or over.
Working in our London stores
We're building a business that is reflective of our local communities, so we're keen to receive applications from school-leavers who live in these eight London boroughs. You'll have the chance to gain a degree without the expense of leaving home.
- Kingston Upon Thames
- Tower Hamlets
- Waltham Forest
If you don't live in London, you'll need to be able to travel and work in these boroughs - including some early, late and weekend shifts.
What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
Annual bonus scheme where you can earn up to 5% of base salary
- Holiday starting at 20 days plus a personal day rising to 22 days after 12 months (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted Gympass membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes - Join our Buy As You Earn' & Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C's apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life's challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.