About the role
Tesco Technology are looking for a Cloud Platform Engineer reporting into the Cloud Platform Engineering team. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly motivated DevOps focused engineer to join the team.
The role will involve being hands on with a focus on the availability and reliability of some of our most critical services whilst obsessively automating away operational burden. You will also be heavily involved in building our multi cloud strategy and platforms while developing standards and patterns for our engineering community.
You will also be supporting development teams as they build new services or migrate existing workloads to our cloud platforms.
You will be responsible for
Your key skills must include scripting, coding and automation as an enabler for our engineering teams to create new systems for scalable deployments and mission-critical operation of applications running on our cloud platform. Your role will have a focus on high availability, simplicity and scale, working comfortably within a collaborative, agile environment and using data to drive conversations and decisions.
There is a mix of software, systems and automation engineering, networking, data, and DevOps engineering in the role.
This is an individual contributor role that does not require people management.
You will need
You'll need to have demonstrated experience of:
- Experienced in working within an DevOps, Cloud or SRE function, with a focus on availability, reliability and automation.
- Working in an Agile team and understand the Scrum Cycle.
- Exposure or understanding of CI/CD pipelines and how these feed into a micro services architecture.
- Exposure or understanding of containerisation platforms like Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift or Rancher.
- Experience designing and working with fault tolerant, highly available, high traffic/throughput, distributed, scalable systems.
- Keen to cultivate a culture of collaboration, innovation and bringing industry standards to everything we do.
- Knowledge of : Cloud Technologies (Azure, AWS, Private), Windows, Linux, Security and Networking and Storage.
- Proficient in scripting languages eg Python, Power Shell, ARM, Cloud Formation, Terraform, UNIX Shell, Bash, Java, Node.JS or similar.
- Interpersonal skills and relationship building, will be a key part of this role. You instinctively work in a collaborative way and are comfortable working with a wide range of colleagues.
- Have a passion for technology and can share that passion with others.
- Proactive and able to operate independently. Comfortable with ambiguity.
- Flexible but persistent. You push for us to do the best for our customers and balance this with a sense of pragmatism when needed. You believe perfect is the enemy of production.
- You are resilient - you take ownership of seeing issues through to resolution whilst looking after yourself to be at your best.
What's in it for you
We offer excellent benefits that help make Tesco a great place to work. These include but aren't limited to:
- Annual bonus scheme
- Holiday starting at 25 days plus a personal day (plus 8 Bank holidays)
- On-site state of the art gym at our Welwyn Campus with discounted Gympass membership & free health checks via Nuffield Health
- Retirement savings plan - save between 4% and 7.5% and Tesco will match your contribution
- Life Assurance - 5 x contractual pay
- Share Schemes - Join our Buy As You Earn' & Save As You Earn' share schemes after 3 months service
- Colleague Clubcard (including a 2nd card for a family member) after 3 months service
- Colleague Discounts:
- 10% increasing to 15% after every pay day for a four day period, off most purchases at Tesco
- 10% off One Stop
- 10% off pay monthly & SIM only deals with Tesco Mobile
- 20% off all F&F purchases
- 20% off car, pet and home insurance at Tesco bank. T&C's apply
- 25% off Tesco Café
- 50% off complete glasses purchases & free eye tests (other offers available) at Vision Express
- 50% off health checks at Tesco Pharmacy
- An exclusive deals and discounts website saving you money on everyday purchases, treats for the family, eating out and utility bills for the home
- Cycle to work scheme
- Shuttle Bus Service to/from Welwyn Garden City Station to Welwyn Campus
- Opportunities to get on - take advantage of our ongoing learning opportunities and award-winning training, to help you achieve the job and career you want
- Our Employee Assistance Programme helps you deal with life's challenges
- Financial wellness - Tesco has partnered with experts to help you make the most of your money
- Get involved in a range of fundraising activities with our long-term charity partners
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.