Commercial Finance Manager
Circa £50,000 (Depending on Skills and Experience)
12th November 2019
All applications will be reviewed after the closing date
We also provide the following additional benefits
- Annual leave 25 days
- Personal Pension Plan – Personal contribution rates of 4% or 5% (UK Power Networks will make a corresponding contribution of 8% or 10%)
- Tenancy Loan Deposit scheme
- Tax efficient benefits: cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Occupational Health support
- Switched On – scheme providing discount on hundreds of retailers products.
- Supplier discounts, such as O2, EE, Vauxhall cars, Universal tyres
- Discounted access to sports and social clubs
- Employee Assistance Programme.
Job Nature and Scope:
UK Power network Services has long term contract Heathrow airport to upgrade operate, and complete the life cycle maintenance of the high voltage electrical assets, together with a capital expenditure programme for the supply of infrastructure and connections to the airports. UK Power Networks Services is looking to employ a Commercial manager to oversee the commercial aspects of the contracts.
A vacancy currently exists for a Commercial Manager to work with the Project Team in Heathrow. He/she is responsible for ensuring an effective commercial relationship is maintained with the Heathrow Airport Limited, Suppliers, Sub-contractors and others. The role must manage all commercial matters with regards to pricing, service delivery and contract requirements are co-ordinated and delivered to the highest standards.
- Financial budget circa. £27m p.a.
- Although based at Heathrow and principally working on this project the candidate will be expected to develop their skills and knowledge to be able to work on any future projects within UKPN Services.
- Acting as the main Commercial interface with HAL key
- Ensuring contractual reporting obligations are delivered on time
- Ensuring contract meetings are diarised and managed
- Overseeing and reporting on the Perfomace
- Responsible for the delivery of all project related commercial activities.
- Oversee the contract and commercial management. Control and manage all change on the project.
- Analyse and assess use of supplier/sub-contractor to generate appropriate service levels and revenue.
- Ensure that all stakeholders are fully engaged and involved in relevant commercial activity.
- Monitor and provide support to ensure that all commercial requirements are delivered to required standard and timeframes.
- Monitor the project budget in the most effective way to achieve targets.
- Fully comply with all UKPN guidelines, business objectives and procedures, identify and report areas of non-conformance.
- Responsible for liaising with all external and internal stakeholders to enable the projects to progress without delay, ensuring that all reasonable requests are met in a timely efficient manner.
- Demonstrates belief and understanding to the team and creates confidence even when faced with setbacks. Willing to make decisions and confident in justifying them when challenged.
- Produce quality reports in a timely, professional and legible manner and follows instructions, questioning the decisions and directions of others where necessary.
- Preparing and making project specific presentations to the business.
- Assess contractor applications, making recommendations to, raising payment.
- Liaise with the Project Managers and Engineers to review and update the risk registers, and add in any identified risks.
- Identify principal risks and opportunities, raises, addresses and resolves problems at a project level and supports the project delivery team, maintains a schedule of potential financial implications for the various projects.
- To advise others regarding the application and interpretation of the different forms of contract.
- Responsible for managing and reporting change control procedures within each specific contract and ensuring that they are adhered to by all parties.
- Provide quarterly updates of Performance Unit potential insurance claims.
- Become actively involved in and support the relevant Annual rate reviews.
- Reviews Principal / Main Contractors subcontract agreements and advises where clauses are in breach of Partner policies and guidelines, making recommendations to achieve compliance.
- Consider alternative strategies for dispute resolution of moderate complexity and prepare written
- arguments from a claimant or defendant perspective, making recommendations to key UKPN stakeholders on the preferred option.
- Liaise with internal and external legal advisors.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Proven commercial experience and expertise.
- Experience with multimillion pound contracts involving Utility / PFI / JV Contracts.
- RICs qualified desirable.
- Excellent working knowledge of NEC contracts
- Working towards or attained the relevant commercial qualifications.
- Commercial acumen.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- A detailed knowledge of Contracts and Contract drafting skills.
- Industry knowledge of costs and contractor performance related issues.
- Numerate and accurate in analysing cost data with a focus on attention to detail. Able to communicate financial and commercial issues.
- An understanding of the Electricity Network and the various types of jobs undertaken would be an advantage but is not essential.
- Experience of working within a team, taking responsibility for the delivery of the key objective to manage the Commercial process.
- Ability to work in a pressured environment as part of a highly focused team.
- Good level PC literacy, with the ability to learn and use a variety of systems with fast and accurate keyboard skills, a good knowledge of Excel and a knowledge of SAP would be an advantage.
- Flexible attitude to work and working hours.
- Self motivated, with a strong drive to succeed.
- Ability to build good working relationships with other staff and other teams within UK Power Networks and external Partners.
- Good communication organisational and problem solving skills.
- Has the ability to communicate with all levels of Senior Management, and can provide clear and concise communication in all formats.
- Expert analytical skills to make informed, balanced business decisions and reporting findings back to Clients and Internal Stakeholders.
- Proven ability of developing and maintaining professional relationships with both service providers and internal stakeholders – including the confidence and stature to work alongside executives and other senior managers.
- Strong team working and leadership skills.
Measures of Success:
Success will be measured by the Commercial Managers understanding and management in the following areas:
- Proven Integrity.
- Good Client Relationship and networking abilities.
- Confident and self motivated.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Energetic and hard working.
- Strong negotiation and selling skills.
- Capable of working independently and under pressure to deadlines.
- Commercial competence and awareness.
- Adherence to internal and external safety systems and quality systems.
- Customer satisfaction.
- Resource management.
- Supporting and achieving the goal of zero harm to one’s self, colleagues and members of the public.
- Effective understanding and successful implementation of UK Power Network’s policies and procedures.
- Feedback from colleagues, customers and other organisations as well as implementation of work activity demonstrate that policies and procedures are understood and successfully undertaken by the post holder.
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt, ask!