Dstl (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory) works to maximise the impact of science and technology for the defence, security and prosperity of the United Kingdom. In order to do this, we need people who can use their skills to innovate and develop technologies which give our country the winning-edge. We work in niche areas which are sensitive, operationally critical and international in nature.
As a commercial practitioner (Commercial Officer)within the Commercial Function you will be responsible for: sourcing, sales and contract management. The role provides working level support for Divisions, operating as a supervised practitioner in their area of responsibility and can have delegations which include: sourcing, contract management, or sales as required.
As part of a team of up to six staff, you will typically be working for a Commercial Manager developing procurement requirements with other Dstl staff and internal projects. You will determine procurement strategies and support value for money tendering including negotiation with suppliers and supplier selection. You will place contracts and ensure effective supplier performance through whole life management of contracts while also providing accurate and timely commercial data. You will also be successfully developing yourself via experience, mentoring and formal training.
We are looking for someone who has:
• The ability to think ahead and plan own workload.
• Developed communications skills and ability to work in collaboration with colleagues, project staff and engage suppliers as part of contract negotiations.
• The ability to develop and select cost effective options.
• The ability to seek and implement opportunities for improved service delivery and efficiencies.
In this role you will be:
• Advising project staff on acquisition strategies for procurements.
• Managing competitive or single source procurements and sourcing activities, including development of invitations to tender or negotiate, including complex contracts requiring non-standard pricing conditions or bespoke terms and conditions.
• Provide contract management of higher value or complex contracts.
• Authorised to make changes to cost and schedule for such contracts, take enforcement steps as appropriate, and lead contractor performance management assessments.
• Provide delivery and oversight of commercial sales activity
• Acting as a competent local expert on sourcing, contract management and sales within Dstl commercial function.
Important Information .
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be British Citizens who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to understand the work you will undertake to protect us from any security threats. For this reason, we regret that only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners across the enterprise. We work closely with the Defence and Security Industry on many projects, so it would be great to work with you via one of our partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.