Job description for Battery and Power Engineer
Are you fascinated by cutting edge technology and excited by the opportunity to work on military platforms and systems?
If so, we have an exciting opportunity for a Battery and Power Engineer to join our Power team. You will be providing on-going Electrical/Electro-chemical Power Sources and Systems (EEPSS) technical support activities to the MOD. As a Battery and Power Engineer, you will be a focal point for technical expertise, policy, guidance and support related to EEPSS; enabling coherence for the optimisation of power source selection and use to promote operational effectiveness and economic efficiency.
As an innovative and motivated Subject Matter Expert, you will directly influence and support new technologies to reduce the carbon footprint whilst maintaining front line command. Your role will involve periodic visits to manufacturers and suppliers across the UK; using your technical expertise in battery (primary and secondary) technology, safety and chemistry to provide technical guidance and commercial management.
At DE&S we are pleased to offer Smarter working, promoting an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in regards to visiting the office. This approach, combined with our flexible working policy, supports our colleagues in balancing home and work commitments, whilst allowing us to share our opportunities with a diverse range of skilled applicants, not just from Bristol but further afield too.
Responsibilities for Battery and Power Engineer
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• To produce policy related to batteries, which will support Front Line Command for project technical assurance
• To Support user and delivery teams in service operational needs, including:
o Fault investigations
o Procurement and introduction of batteries
o Maintenance and repair regimes
• Qualify and develop future/emergent portable power technologies
• Coordinate standards/specifications management via DE&S standards management tool and interface with Def-Stan
• Undertake routine support to procurement activities, including product benchmarking, supplier quasi quality assurance and industry liaison
• Coordinate a generation of new specifications
• Develop and assist policy management
• Provide support to technical and commercial management of technical support contractor
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification, coupled with experience of or an interest in battery technology and power supply
• Hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status, or have equivalent experience
• Have experience of leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance – Practitioner
• Technical Risk Management – Practitioner
• Changing and improving
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.