Job description for Engineering Manager (Remotely Piloted Air Systems)
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom and fascinated by innovative technology, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people? If so, we, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), are actively recruiting for Engineering Managers within our cutting-edge Remotely Piloted Air Systems (RPAS) team.
As an Engineering Manager within RPAS, you could be responsible for certification of our Protector programme, a key member of the Watchkeeper support team or specialise in the latest Flexible Tactical Uncrewed Air Systems. Working hand in hand with our industry partners, you will be an integral part of the Engineering team, accountable to the Chief engineer and leading others in the delivery of essential Engineering outputs across a range of system, mechanical, avionics and software disciplines. Your work will support the delivery of cutting-edge technology for all of our military customers (Royal Navy, Royal Air Force and Army), delivering urgent and critical operational output. These appointments will require you to achieve an Airworthiness Letter of Delegation within 12 months of appointment.
In joining DE&S, you are joining the force behind the UK Armed Forces, with unparalleled career opportunities throughout the UK and beyond. If you are seeking a challenging role and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, apply today!
These posts will allow you to base yourself out of a variety of locations, including MOD Abbey Wood, RAF Waddington, RAF Marham, RNAS Culdrose, or Larkhill Camp.
Please note that due to their secure nature, these posts require full Security Clearance (SC) and are open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only.
Responsibilities for Engineering Manager (Remotely Piloted Air Systems)
As our Engineering Manager, you will establish effective relationships with stakeholders, helping to ensure minimal operation impacts to front-line operations. Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Leading a small team of engineers to deliver all engineering aspects, including safety, for your area of responsibility as defined in the assignment specification and your letter of delegation.
• Providing expert advice and guidance in your own technical area to solve complex technical problems and manage risks
• Monitoring and implementing governance, assurance and regulatory policies and procedures to ensure the ‘safe and professional’ status of the area you lead
• Assessing and managing engineering risks; interfacing with industry as the intelligent customer to ensure the equipment is safe to operate, supported and available to meet the capability requirements
• Dependant on the phase of the project lifecycle, you may lead on the development of system requirements, acceptance plans, performance criteria and draft specifications
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold Chartered or Incorporated Engineer status, or will demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience and be willing/able to achieve this within 6 months
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering/Science subject or will demonstrate equivalent experience
• You will have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• You will demonstrate a wide-ranging depth and breadth of technical experience from within an Air environment, with knowledge and application of Systems Engineering and Air Regulations (from within either a civil or military environment)
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
• Technical Risk management (Practitioner)
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.