Job description for Environmental Manager
Are you excited by the opportunity to deliver a more sustainable military capability and improve the efficiency of the equipment used by our Armed forces today? If so, we are looking for an Environmental Manager to join the Environmental Centre of Expertise (ECOE) here at DE&S! As an Environmental Manager, you will ensure that the equipment procured and supported by DE&S on behalf of the Armed Forces is safe to use and environmentally compliant. This progressive role is vital to the procurement process and you will provide the Ships Domain Delivery Teams (DTs) with advice, assurance and guidance in order to reduce the impact on the environment of the equipment they support and making DE&S more environmentally sustainable.
DE&S has a huge role to play in tackling climate change and biodiversity loss now that it is the government’s number one international priority. Whether it is by changing culture and behaviour, improving the efficiency of the equipment we procure, or delivering more sustainable military capability. Every positive change we can make, large or small, will help and we are looking for individuals to champion environmental protection and sustainability in DE&S.
In your role as the Environmental Manager your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Completing environmental assessments for new or modified ships and maritime systems, in accordance with DE&S environmental policy
• Reviewing and updating delivery teams’ environmental documentation, to ensure it is current and reflects good practice
• Developing new environmental policy and guidance to support people in the Ships domain to deliver environmentally sustainable equipment and platforms
• Providing expert environmental advice to a wide variety of projects across the Ships domain, ranging from aircraft carriers to small boats.
• Taking part in various working groups to drive the sustainability agenda across the DE&S and wider MOD, and to move the organisation towards the goal of Net Zero carbon by 2050
• Helping delivery teams contract for environmentally sustainable products and services, using Defence Standard 00-51 (Environmental Management Requirements for Defence Systems).
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a minimum Level 4 NQF qualification (e.g. HNC) in a relevant engineering, science or environmental discipline, or will demonstrate the equivalent experience
• Have demonstrable experience of providing technical advice and delivery of environmental products, services, or management systems within your own industry
• Be a member of a professional engineering, science or environmental institute, or demonstrate continuous professional development with an environmental field
• Have demonstrable experience in communicating with internal and external stakeholders
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Be familiar with the Maritime environmental legislative and regulatory framework
• Have experience working in the maritime industry, commercial or defence, or another regulated industries such as nuclear, oil & gas, aerospace, automotive, rail etc
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Formulate Env policy and procedures – Practitioner
• Implementation of policy and procedures – Practitioner
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.
Please click the link below to apply by creating an account and upload your details.