MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH • RAF Waddington, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5 9NB
Job description for Environmental Practitioner
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people, whilst making positive contributions towards a more sustainable future? If so, we, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), are actively looking for Environmental Practitioners to champion environmental protection and sustainability within our Air Domain.
The UK Government has made tackling climate change and biodiversity loss its number one international priority. DE&S has a huge role to play, whether it is by changing our behaviour, improving efficiency, or delivering more sustainable military capability. Our Acquisition Safety and Environmental Protection (ASEP) elements, within our Delivery Teams, have roles for individuals who are passionate environmentalists who are qualified and capable to help us achieve this.
These roles offer you exciting opportunities to support the all three Services (RAF, Army and Navy) in the Air Environment, whilst ensuring we meet our commitment to champion environmental protection and sustainability. If you are seeking a challenging role, offering great development opportunities and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, apply today!
Please note that, due to the secure nature of the role, one of the posts is reserved for sole UK nationals only.
Responsibilities for Environmental Practitioner
As our Environmental Practitioner, you may be responsible for providing valuable environmental management advice and playing an active part to deliver high standards of environmental performance, protecting, and enhancing the environment, and seeking new, innovative, and sustainable ways to lighten our environmental footprint. This will include regular interaction with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders including the equipment end-user.
Other responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Contributing to the development and maintenance of policy and process to satisfy the DE&S corporate standards for Environmental Management
• Working with colleagues at all levels to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S Policy
• Supporting the development and management of effective Environmental Management Systems. Identifies and analyses environmental impacts and contributes to the identification and evaluation of risk reduction measures, ensuring these are adequately documented and managed
• Specifying system-specific environmental requirements with consideration for the environmental consequences of the wider system of systems
• Managing contractual aspects to ensure environmental requirements are captured and manages contractors who perform environmental activities
• Providing informed environmental advice to decision makers through Project Environmental Panels
• Supporting the effectiveness of environmental management and best practice, including the implication of change
• Undertaking audit activity in environmental management
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Science/Engineering related subject or will demonstrate the equivalent experience
• You will hold, or be working towards, Practitioner status in Environmental practices
• You will hold Professionally Registered status with a recognised Professional Environmental body or will demonstrate the equivalent knowledge, skills and experience or willing to achieve this within 6 months
• You will have experience of providing technical advice and delivery of environmental products or services from within an Air environment
• You will have experience in the use of Environmental Management Tools & Processes such as ASEMS/POEMS
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Formulate Env policy and procedures (Practitioner)
• Implementation of policy and procedures (Practitioner)
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.