Job description for Establishment Safety Advisor
We have a new dynamic opportunity for an experienced Safety Advisor, including Establishment Fire Focal Point, to join our DE&S Bicester Head of Establishment Team (HoE).
As the Establishment Safety Advisor, you will work as part of our Logistic and Supply Operating Centre and be responsible for managing the Estates Safety Management System, whilst providing assurance to HoE that the estate is legally compliant.
You will be key in supporting and undertaking investigations, providing reports and reviews, as well as conducting audits and assurance activities of all health and safety aspects.
This role offers you the chance for professional development with opportunities to enhance your technical and management skills and competency.
Responsibilities for Establishment Safety Advisor
As the Establishment Safety Advisor your responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
• Acting as Establishment Fire Focal Point (EFFP)
• Managing enquiries and acting as a focal point on health and safety matters, providing advice to stakeholders across the business
• Engaging with stakeholders and contractors at varying levels
• Working collaboratively with delivery partners to embed appropriate behaviours, contractor control and gain assurance on behalf of the Head of Establishment
• Conducting reviews, investigations and audits and supports assurance activities to ensure due diligence
• Assisting in embedding the compliance of Occupational Health and Safety legislation and regulations across DE&S
• Providing metrics for performance reporting and performance indicators, and managing dashboard reporting and risk registers
• Acting as a mental health first aid champion
• Assisting in the development of corporate communications in relation to health and safety messages
• Acting as a mentor and coach to more junior members within team to build skills and capabilities
• Lead on Head of Establishment quarterly meeting relating to Health and Safety and Fire and attendance at Logistic and Supply Operating Centre (LSOC) and Quality, Safety, Health & Environment (QSHE) meetings.
Due to the scale of the site and the large area, and the need to travel between MoD sites, the ability to drive would be beneficial.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent level 3 qualification, or relevant extensive work experience in a similar role
• Computer literate in Office 365, specifically PowerPoint, Word and Excel
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Expectation to achieve Level 3 Fire and Risk Management Qualification
• Experience working within a similar Fire Safety Management role
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Conducting Risk Assessments
• Conducting OHSEP Audit and Assurance Activities
• Communicating and influencing
• Working together
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Corporate Services Group (CSG) is pivotal in enabling effective business operations. We are a professional body of people who undertake a diverse range of challenging activities which are integral to Defence procurement and support. CSG are represented in every area of the organisation enabling the successes of DE&S.