Job description for Head of Media
We have a dynamic and exciting opportunity for you to join us at DE&S as our Head of Media on a 12-month fixed-term contract.
As Head of Media, you will manage and lead our Media Team in being proactive and reactive to handling the media, including managing and supporting the delivery of the on-call rota and delivering key events and announcements.
You will be confident in liaising with senior leaders, providing advice and briefings on external communication matters, as well as working with multiple stakeholders across the defence industry, Whitehall, and the UK’s Armed Forces.
This in a dynamic and ever changing role, allowing you to lead on planning, delivery and the evaluation of external communication strategies and campaigns. In this rewarding role you will deliver media strategies to protect and enhance the reputation of DE&S.
Responsibilities for Head of Media
As Head of Media your responsibilities will include:
• Leading and delivering on the communication strategies and communication plans and taking a lead role in the development of engaging, high quality internal communication campaigns
• Developing creative ideas for campaigns to meet business needs, including innovating new ideas and tools for communications to increase engagement with DE&S’ key stakeholders
• Managing junior colleagues, as well as a budget for business cases
• Engaging with senior external and internal stakeholders across the business to ensure messages are making the biggest impact and the reputation of DE&S is enhanced
• Implementing effective communication channels and using best practice evaluation tools to measure effectiveness and report to the Head of External Communications and DE&S senior management team on communications activity and impact
• Organising and running bespoke large-scale events and key communications channels
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Experience of working in a PR Agency or communications team within an organisation
• Experience of operating across traditional media and digital media
• Ability to plan and deliver to multiple deadlines and adapt to changing demands
• Experience in managing a team as well as internal and external stakeholders
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience in communication evaluation and insight
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Press and media
• Campaigns and Marketing
• Communicating and influencing
• Managing a quality service
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Corporate Services Group (CSG) is pivotal in enabling effective business operations. We are a professional body of people who undertake a diverse range of challenging activities which are integral to Defence procurement and support. CSG are represented in every area of the organisation enabling the successes of DE&S.