Job description for Maritime Electronic Warfare Engineer
Are you fascinated by innovative technology and excited by the opportunity to work first hand on military platforms and combat systems? We currently have two dynamic positions for Maritime Electronic Warfare Engineer’s within our Maritime Electronic Warfare Programme (MEWP) team here at DE&S. The MEWP capability will deliver digital sensors for the electronic warfare surveillance across the full threat spectrum together with an electronic warfare command and control system. This will assist in warfighting decision making, in order to launch the associated electronic warfare counter measures.
As a Maritime Electronic Warfare Engineer, you will work on major Electronic Warfare (EW) Acquisition programmes and will have end-to-end exposure of project life cycles. The progressive roles have huge opportunity as you will have an impact on the successful delivery of advanced surface ships Electronic Warfare systems supporting UK Navy Command.
Due to the nature of security, these roles are open to sole UK Nationals only.
Responsibilities for Maritime Electronic Warfare Engineer
The responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Provide lead engineering support to those MEWP projects in demonstration and manufacturing phase in both Assessment, Demonstration and Manufacturing phase
• Promote open systems standards and act as an active member of the MEWP Technical Design Authority
• Apply system engineering and software engineering skills whilst engaging with suppliers to ensure compliance and system performance is met
• Support and manage project phase Engineering activities from concept to delivery including trials planning and management, installation planning, schedule and transition into service management in accordance with the contract schedule
• Manage electronic warfare technology strategy and technology roadmaps for the MEWP programmes
• Lead on contractor’s design reviews ensuring compliance for both hardware and software for the electronics warfare sensors, counter measures and command and control systems
• Challenge technical assumptions to identify improvement opportunities
• Develop system architectures and requirement definition documents for EW programmes in assessment phase
• Assist with the production, acceptance and resultant configuration control of an requirements acceptance procedure (Verification, Validation Requirements Matrix) created by industry in accordance with an agreed Integrated Trials Evaluation & Acceptance Plan
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Have a relevant Level 4 (or higher) qualification or demonstrate equivalent experience
• Be a chartered or Incorporated Engineer or demonstrate equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Have experience of providing technical advice and leading the delivery of successful engineering outcomes
• Experience of Electronic Warfare systems and in the context of Weapons Systems, Radar Systems and Combat Systems
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Demonstrate leadership skills and the ability to manage a team
• Have knowledge of Maritime Combat Management networks and interoperability
• Have knowledge of Active and Passive Decoy weapon systems
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Improve Engineering Capability – Supervised Practitioner
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance – Practitioner
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.