Job description for Maritime Engineer
Would you be interested in the opportunity to work on military platforms and systems? Are you an experienced Engineer with a desire to support our defence capability? We have exciting opportunities for two Maritime Engineers to join our Naval Ships Support Waterfront team, here in Portsmouth. You will provide support to a variety of platforms in the Royal Navy, facilitating the delivery of some of the biggest defence programmes in the UK today!
Our Waterfront team enables the delivery of our equipment and support by providing specialist expertise across the following disciplines: aviation; husbandry; ordnance, munitions and explosives; and systems engineering and integration. We are keen to support you in continuing your professional development, with training provided, where required, in support of the above disciplines.
Whilst primarily based in Portsmouth, you will be required to support meetings at Abbey Wood, Bristol. Furthermore, you may be required to provide support to Devonport Waterfront team and Forward Based Ships, with occasional travel to site required.
Responsibilities for Maritime Engineer
As a Maritime Engineer, you will support management in identifying, formulating and solving engineering, science or technological problems. Using strong verbal and written communication skills, you will work with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders, at all levels, and support meetings and manage planning activities in accordance with the schedule.
Other responsibilities of these posts will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Working as part of the Waterfront team, providing support across platforms and engineering disciplines in line with the common support model and new support contract
• Supporting collaborative working practices with key stakeholders in DE&S, industry and our client (the Royal Navy), ensuring that everyone is working in alignment to the contract
• Providing assurance that industry is fulfilling their engineering contract obligations
• Providing feedback on opportunities to improve at Waterfront, to inform changes to policy and guidance information related to the common support model and more specifically, the design management arrangements
• Liaising with the Defence Quality Audit team and instigate audits, where required
• Producing survey reports/advice covering magazine inspections, flight deck surveys, paint scheme inspections and habitability surveys
• Maintaining the database of platform Material State, utilising survey data
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• Hold a minimum of Level 4 (or higher) qualification in an engineering related discipline or will demonstrate equivalent relevant experience
• Hold Professional Registered status, or have demonstrated equivalent knowledge, skills and experience
• Have demonstrable experience of working within a maritime environment
• Have experience working in a team which requires stakeholder management
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Knowledge or experience of applying safety judgement or operating within a safety and environmental management systems
• Experience of quality assurance within an engineering environment
• Have experience of managing and developing resources to deliver successful engineering outcomes
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making (Supervised Practitioner)
• Technical Requirements, Evaluation & Acceptance (Supervised Practitioner)
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.