• MOD Abbey Wood, Filton, Bristol, BS34 8JH or • RAF Waddington, Lincoln, Lincolnshire, LN5 9NB or • RAF Marham, Kings Lynn, Norfolk, PE33 9NP
Job description for Safety & Engineering Team Leader
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people? If you are an experienced Senior Professional Engineer looking to join an organisation at the cutting-edge of technology, we, at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S), have a unique opportunity for you to join us at the pinnacle of our Engineering business function, leading our DE&S Air Support Safety & Engineering Team.
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, you will support the 1* Principal Engineer and will be responsible for providing 2* Director Air Support with advice on safety, engineering, airworthiness and environmental governance across the Air Support portfolio. You will be responsible for ensuring that engineering activities are ‘right first time’, as well as providing quality assurance activities across the Operating Centre. To be successful in this role you will use your extensive engineering experience to advise and influence senior leaders, coach and manage other specialists, and lead your peers.
If you are seeking a role that offers unique challenges and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, this position could provide the ideal opportunity for you!
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, you may base yourself out of MOD Abbey Wood, RAF Waddington or RAF Mahram (with regular travel to Abbey Wood and Waddington required).
Please note that, due to its secure nature, this post requires full Security Clearance (SC) and is open to UK nationals (sole or dual) only.
Responsibilities for Safety & Engineering Team Leader
As the Air Support Safety & Engineering Team Leader, your responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
• Leading the Safety and Engineering team, which includes Safety, Environmental and Quality Assurance experts
• Identifying potential areas of good practice to be shared across the Operating Centre, as well as implementing corrective action plans in areas of weakness
• Managing delegations of airworthiness authority and notifications of Air Safety (Letters of Airworthiness Authority and Letters of Air Safety Notification)
• Obtaining safety information to support the Operating Centre executives and senior managers, as specifically required, and developing safety metrics and the provision of trend analysis
• Providing assurance to the Operating Centre Director, Principal Engineer, One Star Cluster Leader and Delivery Team Leaders about Safety and Airworthiness performance
• Acting as a focal point for the provision of safety and Airworthiness advice and guidance within the Operating Centre
• Championing the development of a just, flexible learning, questioning and reporting Engaged Safety Culture
• Making assurance recommendations relating to availability of adequate competent resources to support current and future needs
• Acting as first point of contact for Delivery Team staff, where they have safety or Airworthiness issues they cannot resolve themselves
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 6 (e.g. BEng) qualification in a related Engineering or Science subject, or will exemplify significant experience that demonstrates this level of understanding
• You will hold Chartered Engineer status with a recognised professional body, or be capable of attaining within 12 months of taking up the post
• You will have extensive experience of leading Engineering tasks and teams undertaking high risk and high consequence activities within a heavily regulated environment (e.g. Military or Civilian Aviation)
• You will be experienced in the use of System Safety/Environment Management tools and processes
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making (Expert)
• Technical Risk Management (Expert)
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modellerto get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.