Job description for Systems Engineer
Are you passionate about the defence of the United Kingdom, with a good moral compass and a drive to protect people? Do you want to work in an environment where you can develop your skills and experience whilst working to support the UK’s Armed Forces? Are you fascinated by cutting-edge technology and excited by the opportunity to work on military platforms and systems? If so, opportunities have arisen for Systems Engineers to join us within the Land Domain at Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S).
In joining one of our integrated teams of highly skilled professionals, you have an exciting opportunity to support the British Army, ensuring the platforms, systems and equipment is procured and delivered to the UK military front-line, for safe operational use.
We have multiple positions available across a number of areas of our Integrated Battlespace Operating Centre. If successful, you could become part of one of the Land Domain project teams, including:
• Joint Sensor and Engagement Networks (JSENs): responsible for the procurement and support of Ground Based Air Defence, and Sensor and Engagement Networks, JSENs equipment provides air and space situational awareness, allows the conduct of airspace and battlespace management, and integrates with weapon systems and effectors to defeat the full range of large and small air targets
• Joint Electronic Surveillance (JES): delivering electronic warfare capability for Defence, JES works across Government and with Allies, ensuring that customers in UK Strategic Command, Army and Navy get the equipment and support they need to fulfil their operational requirements
• Situation Awareness Command and Control (SACC): responsible for the procurement and in-service support of the UK’s static and deployable air command and control systems that contribute to airspace battle management. SACC also delivers and supports data link systems that provide real-time encrypted communications to achieve total situational awareness
• Space: this unique team specialises in Global Positioning System satellites, ground & space based sensor systems, as well as the integration of a variety of surveillance mission, tasking & planning command and control systems
If you are seeking a challenging role, offering great development opportunities and the chance to make a real difference in supporting our Armed Forces, apply today!
Please be advised that due to the nature of security, these roles are reserved for sole UK Nationals, with some posts requiring candidates to undergo Developed Vetting in-post.
Responsibilities for Systems Engineer
As one of our Systems Engineers, you will be responsible for managing engineering risk and acting as an intelligent customer on engineering design and development, whilst establishing architectures of systems to deliver military capability for the future.
Other responsibilities include, but are not be limited to:
• Adhering to DE&S processes, maintaining engineering products and preparing for, and contributing to, project engineering reviews supporting the Lead and Chief Engineer
• Ensuring the correct delivery of systems and solutions from industry, and providing engineering management across requirements setting and acceptance
• Leading from the front, interfacing with industry and stakeholders, as the intelligent customer, both in a scrutiny role and supporting the identification of application risks associated with procuring complex military equipment, and reporting to the delivery manager
• Ensuring the delivery of equipment that is safe by design and safe to use
You will build relationships across different business areas and within Government, interacting with internal and external stakeholders both nationally and internationally; as such, these posts will require national and/or international travel.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a minimum of a Level 4 (e.g. HNC) qualification in a relevant Engineering or Science discipline or will demonstrate the equivalent level of suitable experience
• You will have experience of leading the engineering aspects of project delivery
• You will have a wide ranging depth and breadth experience of enabling technologies and systems engineering approaches in order to manage complexity
• You will be equally competent working as part of a team as you are working independently
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• ISTAR experience (including Electronic Warfare, Command & Control, and Weapons & Sensors)
• Experience from working within the defence industry
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Technical Decision Making (Practitioner)
• Technical Risk Management (Practitioner)
• Communicating and influencing
What’s in it for you?
You will receive a generous benefits package including market-leading employer pension contributions of between 26.6% and 30.3% of your salary (not including any personal contribution), annual bonuses, a flexible working pattern to fit you where possible, 25 days holiday +1 additional day every year you work up to 30 days with opportunity for movement and promotion. Some of our sites include an onsite gym, onsite restaurants, cafes and much more.
Whilst you will be based out of the listed location, DE&S promotes Smarter working, which provides flexibility over where work is carried out whilst ensuring organisational outcomes are delivered effectively and efficiently. We adopt an ‘attend for a purpose’ approach in relation to visits to site.
Find out more about what DE&S offers by clicking here. Please refer to the Civil Service Pensions Retirement Modeller to get an indication of the benefits you may receive from your Civil Service Pension, when you come to retire.
We value diversity and inclusion and actively encourage and welcome applications from everyone, including those that are underrepresented in our workforce. We promote equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment and a working environment free from discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation.
About your team
Cutting-edge engineering and science is a critical component in delivering modern, battle-winning technologies to all branches of the armed forces. Engineering is the largest business area within DE&S – and it’s one of the most fulfilling too. From managing technical risks, engineering resources and services, to defining and assuring best practice, our engineers are exemplars both within DE&S and our industry partners and professional bodies.