DSP-FPGA Design Engineer
Portsmouth, PO6 3RU
QinetiQ are developing two new radar cross section (RCS) measurement radar systems under the RLTPA. One will be ground-based. The other will be fitted to a pod mounted on a helicopter. The systems will be used by QinetiQ to measure the RCS of MOD assets, including ships and aircraft, as part of a long-term core business capability.
The DSP/FPGA Engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing, and testing FPGA-based digital signal processing solutions for Radar RCS measurement system. Working as part of a high calibre Software/RF System On Chip team, you will be involved in all phases of projects and additional engineering tasks.
Our DSP-FPGA Design Engineers implement complex system algorithms and interface in Model Based Environment for Radar Systems. We are seeking an expert in the implications of using model-based design within this framework, who will undertake a pro-active role in ensuring that work products that are exchanged with the Software lifecycle are of a mutually agreeable format, and if it is intended to take credit for a model-based artefact, that it is developed in accordance with the [D)-331] supplement.
- Implement complex system algorithms and interfaces in Model Based Environments for RCS measurements system. Applicable project span all levels of maturity from initial concept generation through design, prototype, development, test and transition to production.
- Develop requirements and budgets for signal processing functions
- Support system & FPGA simulations, implementations, and verification (In Matlab-Simulink)
- Implement DSP algorithms for FPGA (Xilinx) structures
- Provide risk assessments, suggest and execute feasibility investigations, and guidance for bringing new technology to market.
- Communicate timely and accurate project status, provide alternative problem resolution ideas.
- Ensuring, in collaboration with Software Lead , the complete set of requirements from which the model is to be developed are captured and managed (this explicitly includes the capture and communication of design constraints , including external interfaces, partitioning requirements etc.
- Contributing directly to the definition of Software architectural constraints considerations, which form an important set of functional requirements allocated to the model.
- Ensuring that any Software verification activities performed by the Systems life cycle processes within the model are provided into the Software Life cycle process in a manner that has satisfied the DO178C objectives.
Key Knowledge, Skills & Requirements:
- Design with architecting and implementing Digital Signal processing systems, Functions and FPGA design experience using VHDL or Verilog;
- FPGA design experience with synthesis, timing analysis and verification;
- Experience with Modelsim, Matlab/Simulink, Xilinx Vivado, Git and development tools;
- Detailed knowledge of implementing Filters, FFTs , etc, design structures;
- British National or Dual British National, willing and able to attain MOD SC level clearance
- Working knowledge at both simulation level (Matlab/Simulink) as well as the implementation and verification level;
- Familiarity with using oscilloscopes, spectrum analysers, logic analysers, etc;
- Literacy with real-time embedded software, especially debugging is advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills. Excellent verbal/written communication skills;
- Strong background and experience with industry best practices and version control;
- Understanding of RF Systems, specifically Radar or EW.
Why join us?
As a company of over 6,000 dedicated professionals we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success with QinetiQ is the appetite for innovation and courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges. Joining QinetiQ offers an opportunity to work on highly technical cutting-edge projects, enabling customers to protect, improve and advance their vital interests. We offer an opportunity to work across a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits.
If you feel you meet the criteria for this position and would like to be considered, please apply with your CV and a brief cover letter demonstrating your suitability for the position and we will be in contact.