Electrical Design Engineer x 2
Bristol or Plymouth
Overall Department Direction
Here at Babcock International, we are looking to recruit 2 x Electrical Designer to join our Energy & Marine Division.
Our core skills include Naval Architecture, Systems Engineering, multi-discipline design support and project management for new build and in-service commercial and defence vessels.
Our state-of-the-art facilities offer world-class efficiency, scale and quality and our customers include: governments, international shipyards and ship owners and energy majors.
Reporting to the Engineering Discipline Lead, you will be working within a team of Professional Engineers who support numerous and varied projects. With a diverse product portfolio, we offer an exciting opportunity to join an ever-growing business with longevity. Projects include; design packages to support submarine and surface ship refits for the Royal Navy as well as International Commercial and Naval contracts
Project exposure (Includes but not limited to)
- Lighting modelling using DIALux
- Power distribution System Modelling using ETAP software
- Arc Flash Analysis
- Design Feasibility studies for a variety of systems on multiple Naval platforms
- Tamar class Lifeboat design.
- Super Yacht Design
- EMC Management , Design & Testing
- Providing technical assurance on designs for multiple Naval platforms.
- 3D bridge layout design including virtual reality.
- Surveying, commissioning and setting work ships systems.
- Technology feasibility studies
- Concept Design - British Antarctic Survey Vessel Concept design support bid
- Type 31 design and Build
- Canadian Dockyard Development
- Detail Design - US Coastguard Cutter Vessel
- Extensive Highly Desirable Integration Projects - Inc. Power Distribution, Power Generation, Control Systems, Vessel Integration
* Providing design support in appropriate Engineering Discipline
* Executing duties in accordance with Company procedures for, training, health and safety, personnel, quality and project requirements
* Familiarity with 2D AutoCAD
* Preparing and checking design documentation as required
* Supporting preparation of Design Reviews
* Representing Group as directed by Supervisor
* Delivering work to time, cost and quality
* Providing professional engineering support to surface ship, submarine, commercial and equipment projects as directed by Supervisor
* Should have the ability to perform system requirements capture, concept design and modelling
* Should have the ability to interpret a design requirement into an achievable design solution
* Manage staff as required in accordance with company and HR policies and procedures
* Assisting in the technical aspects of selecting sub-contractors and / or suppliers
* Liaising with Project to resolve Project issues
* Liaising with Production to resolve manufacturing problems
Required Knowledge, Skills, Experience and Competences
Demonstrable evidence of having worked in the field of the appropriate Discipline in design, analysis, operational or technical management role at an appropriate level.
You'll need to hold a minimum of a HNC/HND (or BTEC Level 4) in a relevant engineering subject or a suitable higher education qualification with breadth and depth of knowledge of platform systems and design processes.
This position is within the Energy & Marine business unit as a grade 5 which has a salary of £35,460-£43735 with DRDL Terms and Conditions.
Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group. The Marine Sector delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services. Ranging from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training delivered through unique owned and managed infrastructure to defence and civil customers across the globe.
Babcock International Group is committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fit your specific needs.
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to two week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please click here.
We recommend that you register for free Babcock job alerts - this means you'll automatically receive an email every time a vacancy is advertised which matches your specified job criteria. To register for job alerts please click here
Business Area - Devonport
Babcock International Group owns and operates the main refit, maintenance and workshop area of the 330 acre naval site at Devonport, known as Devonport Royal Dockyard, where it employs thousands of people. The remainder of the site at Devonport is owned by the Ministry of Defence and is known as Her Majesty's Naval Base (HMNB) Devonport - one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe.
Babcock and the Ministry of Defence work in partnership to operate and maintain this co-located site by providing through-life support for submarines, surface ships and associated systems and equipment.
Babcock has a large design and technology capability providing a wide range of support activities including feasibility and project definition studies, detail design and draughting, development trials, noise and vibration analysis, structural analysis, project management, integrated logistic support and risk management.
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.