Electrical Integration Engineer - 2 Year FTC
HMNB Devonport, Plymouth
Starting salary: £36,525
About the role
Here at Babcock, we're looking for an Electrical Integration Engineer to join us on a 2 year FTC at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We're a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
As a warship support partner to the Royal Navy, Babcock is a provider of deep maintenance, in service maintenance and operational support for UK warships. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Electrical Engineer to support the installation, integration and assurance of the electrical elements of complex design changes in a T23 Frigate. This predominantly involves the Power Generation and Machinery Control and Surveillance Update, which is the largest update of mechanical and electrical systems in the vessel's life.
You will assure design change and engineering governance of design change in the wider project and will provide technical knowledge and expertise into the Project Team to address technical issues, acting as the focal point for design change queries. You will be embedded in the team working closely with the Production Delivery Manager and the Production Team, making decisions in accordance with agreed decision rights and liaising with internal and customer functions to identify, mitigate and address integration risk.
What do I need to do the role?
- You will have significant experience in the installation and integration of electrical systems and managing processes and standards within production focussed environments
- You will have experience in applying your knowledge to solving engineering problems and be able to think in a systemic manner to appreciate the wider implications and opportunities
- You will be able to read complex electrical drawings
- You will be an excellent communicator, able to articulate complex arguments to a wide range of stakeholders
- You will be able to work independently and be self-motivated but also able to work in a team to achieve a common goal
- ONC/HNC or equivalent in electrical engineering is preferable, however, an ONC/HNC in an engineering specialisation with significant demonstrable electrical experience will be considered.
- Eng Tech/IEng (or equivalent) is desirable but not essential.
What else do I need to know?
- You will work 36 hours per week Monday to Friday. You must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory Security Clearance, which includes 5 years reference checks.
- Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours (only non-industrials), career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams. Additional benefits may also apply for Management posts.
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work.
Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we need to ensure that our recruitment processes are regularly reviewed and adapted, as required, to ensure we're compliant with the latest government advice. We are striving to protect both our current and future employees by acting in a responsible way, which reflects the restrictions we face. Babcock are continuing with essential recruitment activity but implementing relevant recommendations to ensure that this is done in a responsible way with consideration of the unprecedented circumstances we are facing.
Please follow the link to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please visit our careers page.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
This advice is valid at the time of publication and changing government advice and Babcock working practices take precedence at any particular time.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please visit our website.