Here at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire, Serco has been providing multi-activity and engineering support since 1997. And as our new Battery Bay Technician you will help to keep the base running smoothly as you maintain and service its fleet of Aircraft and Vehicle and Equipment batteries. RAF Brize Norton is the largest operating base within the Royal Airforce, providing air transport and air-to-air refuelling to the RAF fleet, and as a vehicle mechanic you'll contribute enormously to the vital work carried out here. You'll also be part of the wider team, with 5,800 service personnel, 1,200 contractors and 300 civil servants on site.
Working alongside the Royal Air Force General Engineering Team at RAF Brize Norton, primarily working in the Battey Charging Room ( BCR) you will be hands on with other Serco Staff maintaining and repairing a wide range of batteries used on aircraft, vehicles and airfield equipment. You may well be asked to assist the General Engineering Team with other electrical tasks related to vehicles, aircraft ground power sets, generators and aviation support equipment - both at the base and occasionally at other locations. As part of the role you will:
- Carry out Scheduled maintenance and Unscheduled maintenance, inspections, repair and rectification of batteries.
- Assist with the electrical Scheduled maintenance and Unscheduled electrical maintenance, inspections, repair and rectification of allocated specialist and non-specialist MoD support equipment and Airfield Support Equipment, which will include diagnostic/functional checks, safety inspections and the embodiment of modifications.
- Deal with the removal and refit of assemblies and components - working in accordance with maintenance and test schedules, workshop manuals, technical publications and parts catalogues
- Ensure that all tasks are completed in a timely fashion and to health and safety, fire, emergency evacuation, quality, risk, and COSHH standards and procedures
- Maintain a clear, safe, tidy, effective and efficient working environment
- Ensure that you always adhere to:
- Technical Work Procedures.
- Health &Safety Instructions.
- Serco Operating Procedures.
- You shall ensure that the products and services delivered are always complete, correct and right first time .
What you need to do the role:
- Three years of experience in the RAF Electrical Trade of Airfield Support Equipment or Motor Transport maintenance or a recognised Military or Civilian equivalent.
- Ability to effectively complete technical maintenance and rectification tasks.
- Functional IT skills to use Electronic Technical Manuals and to update Maintenance Recording systems.
- Full UK Driving Licence.
- Eyesight Colour perception. Must be able to achieve Military CP2 standard for Airfield Driving.
- Be an excellent team player with a can-do safely approach to work.
- The ability to achieve Security Clearance.
- Meaningful and vital work: The nature of our business means you will do interesting work that matters - delivering essential services that support the military and touch people's lives
- A world of opportunity: Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You'll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways.
- Great people: We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You'll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse and supportive environment.
What we offer:
There are a range of benefits for working at RAF Brize Norton, we are a Gold Award Armed Forces Covenant. We offer a great employment package that includes a competitive salary, 25 days holiday, 6% Employer Matched Contribution Pension, Life Insurance and other flexible Serco benefits i.e. up to 30% off various shopping and exterior leisure facilities, holidays and VIP tickets. We have good transport links to Witney/Oxford, we provide free onsite parking and have an onsite Coffee Shop/Bar and 2 Conveniences Stores. You will also have access to the leisure facilities on station (fees/charges apply) Gym, Bowling Alley and Swimming pool. We often hold onsite social events and a range of onsite organised clubs.
If you think this role would suit you, working in an exciting and challenging environment with like-minded individuals, please apply now and upload a copy of your CV and covering letter.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We're a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco supports fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required).