Job title: Electrical Technician (8868) Location: Farnborough
About the role
We are currently looking to recruit a Technician (Electrical Workshop) to complement our electronic and electrical team supporting the operation of the 5m Wind Tunnel Facility, which is used primarily by major international aircraft manufacturing companies for testing scale models of commercial aircraft.
With a proven background in industrial electrical installation, maintenance and fault finding you will be part of small team dedicated to the Wind Tunnel which is located on the QinetiQ Farnborough site. You will deal with requests for electrical repairs and breakdowns as well as supporting routine maintenance and equipment upgrades as needed. The successful candidate must have knowledge of programmable logic controllers (PLCs), be able to fault find and make repairs and/or changes as required. We require applicants who have at least two years of professional technician experience.
What do I need?
- Completed a 3-4 year recognised apprenticeship with as a minimum, a Level 3 technical and vocational qualification or Level 3 Diploma.
- 2+ years of experience as an electrical technician
- Proven practical experience in the installation and maintenance of electrical systems
- Must be able to work at heights and within confined spaces
- 18th edition certification would be preference but would train from 17th.
- Health and Safety knowledge of working on sites and completing reporting
- A good working knowledge of electrical systems e.g. rotating machines and variable speed drives
- A reasonable working knowledge of control systems e.g. PLCs and instrumentation
- Ability to read technical drawings and use them to fault find complex electrical systems
Familiar with safe systems of work and statutory/non-statutory regulations
Please note that all applicants must be eligible for SC clearance as a minimum. Please visit the UKSV National Security Vetting Solution: Guidance for Applicants via the GOV.UK page.
What will I be doing?
- Provide electrical support to this facility, reporting to the controls, systems and instrumentation: Farnborough team leader.
- Installing, maintaining, modifying and repairing electrical systems in the facility
- Ensuring that electrical systems adhere to the relevant electrical safety standards and regulations
- Ensure you adhere to QinetiQ health and safety requirements.
- Troubleshooting electrical faults / issues and repairing them
- Conducting general electrical systems maintenance in accordance with the facility PPM tool
- Support customer trials, Must be prepared to work double-day shifts as required
- Maintain documentation for electrical systems.
- Portable appliance testing.
Expectations for Shift Structure -
Hours: 37 per week. Standard/When not on shift:
Mon-Thurs: 08:30 to 17:00
Fri: 08:30 to 16:30, with one hour lunch break.
QinetiQ operates flexible working as part of its benefits. When not on a customer test there is flexibility in the start and finish times subject to business requirements.
Overtime and working through lunch breaks, with occasional weekend work may be required to support testing.
When we have a customer test it is a requirement to work casual shifts. This is on a double day shift basis and is rotated weekly: A casual shift allowance is paid when working shift.
- Mon-Thurs: 6:00 - 14:30 or 14:00 - 22:30
- Fri: 6:00 - 14:30 or 13:30 - 22:00
Why Join QinetiQ?
As we continue to grow into new markets around the world, there's never been a more exciting time to join QinetiQ. The formula for success is our appetite for innovation, courage to take on a wide variety of complex challenges.
You'll experience a unique working environment where teams from different backgrounds, disciplines and experience enjoy collaborating widely and openly as we undertake this exciting and rewarding journey. Through effective teamwork, and pulling together, you'll get to experience what happens when we all share different perspectives, blend disciplines, and link technologies; constantly discovering new ways of solving complex problems in an diverse and inclusive environment where you can be authentic, feel valued and realise your full potential.
Joining QinetiQ offers you an opportunity to work on a broad range of interesting defence-based projects with vast career progression across a global organisation in addition to competitive personal and professional benefits. You'll receive highly competitive salary and benefits package: our basic salaries are very attractive as we constantly review what's happening in the market. The range of benefits that we offer include, flexible working, generous holiday entitlements, Health Cash Plan, Private Medical Insurance and Dental Insurance and much more.