HMP Forest Bank are currently recruiting an English Tutor to provide learners support to increase their English level and pass a recognised qualification.To be successful in this role, you must have a PGCE or equivalent, a degree or a level 4 qualification in a relevant subject area and experience of delivering Functional skills in the classroom.
HMP Forest Bank serves the courts of Greater Manchester and maintains strong links to the local community with a focus on resettlement. We aim to deliver quality of life services and support people to change their lives for the better.
Opportunities for learning and developing work-ready skills are on offer for all who come in to custody, but our commitment to reducing reoffending in local communities does not end at the prison gate. We support people released from custody through innovative partnerships in substance misuse services in Bury and Oldham, working with people to maintain recovery and lead law-abiding lives.
As well as the 16 residential units on site, there is a healthcare centre, gym, library, workshop complex, visits hall, chaplaincy and kitchen. The prison's capacity stands at 1,460, holding adult men both on remand or sentenced and young prisoners between the ages of 18-21 years.
For more information on working in Justice within Sodexo please see Careers in Justice Job Description
Benefits including 28 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays) pro rata, pension, discounted health cover, subsidised gym membership, free meals on duty and free on-site parking.
Salary £25,030.50 (pro rata)
33.75 hours per week - Monday 8.15am - 17.30pm Tuesday- Thursday 8.00am -17.30pm Main Responsibilities
- Teach English for learners who are progressing through the Adult Core Curriculum from entry level 3 to level 2.
- Ensure that all learners are provided with an initial assessment and a diagnostic test and signpost learners from the results of these to relevant activities that will prepare them for gaining an external accreditation..
- Regularly test learners to demonstrate that they have retained knowledge.
- Ensure that Quality Assurance is of a very high standard and will undergo inspection by Team Leaders management and OFSTED.
- Work effectively and efficiently with the Functional Skills Team Leader to produce innovative and stimulating lessons for learners to encourage participation whatever level the learners are starting from
- Effectively plan courses and lessons by preparing and using schemes of work and lesson plans for all classes for the benefit of the learner as for evidence at inspection/lesson observations
**see full job description below** The Ideal Candidate
- A PGCE or equivalent
- A degree or a level 4 qualification in a relevant subject area
- Experience of delivering Functional skills in the classroom
- Have an interest in the rehabilitation and resettlement of offenders
- Have an ability to communicate effectively at all times through different mediums, including spoken and written communication.
- A flexible and responsive attitude
- Enthusiasm for the subject area
- Willingness to innovate and demonstrate self-motivation
- Awareness of and commitment to the promotion of equal opportunities and the recognition of diversity and inclusion
About The Company
- Experience of instructing/supporting people with challenging behaviour
- Assessor or IV qualification is desirable.
- Experience in a prison environment
In the UK and Ireland, Sodexo employs some 36,000 employees to deliver integrated facilities management services to clients at over 2,000 locations in the energy, corporate, healthcare, education, leisure, defence and justice sectors. With an annual turnover of over £1bn, we provide everything from catering, cleaning and reception to security, laboratory and grounds maintenance services, enabling our clients to focus on their core business.
At Sodexo we are committed to a leading role in promoting equality opportunities and valuing diversity and inclusion. We seek to create a work environment based on mutual respect for all individuals, building a culture that appreciates and values the experiences and skills brought by each person to benefit our organisation and work hard to ensure that all people, whatever their race, colour, sex, gender identity disability, nationality, national or ethnic origin, religion or belief, marital/partnership or family status, sexual orientation, age, social class, educational background, employment status, working pattern, are welcome to and included within our organisation.
We're a Disability Confident Leader employer. We're committed to changing attitudes towards disability, and making sure disabled people have the chance to fulfil their aspirations.
We are building on our support to the Armed Forces community through the development of specific pathways within our recruitment process to support ex-forces personnel and reservists, those applying for jobs with us who meet the ideal candidate criteria for the role advertised are guaranteed to progress to the selection process.
Sodexo and our clients are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and adults within a regulated activity. Certain roles will require applicants to undergo screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) and/ or Disclosure Scotland.
Please note all roles within Sodexo Justice are subject to security and recruitment checks which may include a Social Media Check. You will also be asked to provide 5 years' worth of references and request employment history details from the HMRC. Keywords: