Financial Accountant - Fixed Assets
Are you a Qualified Accountant with a good working knowledge of Fixed Assets and Capex expenditure?
We are looking for someone who will be able to provide asset accounting expertise and broader financial support to the Finance Capex Investment team, as well as the wider capital delivery community. The role delivers some regular monthly reporting and develops financial and project governance controls as part of a small team. This role will be responsible for relevant external audit and regulatory accounts processes from both an assets and projects perspective, as well as various ad-hoc projects supporting business change.
In addition, this role provides key support and systems expertise to drive process improvements in accounting and reporting on Thames’ £16bn fixed asset register and associated annual capital programme expenditure of c.£1bn.
• Supervision of the Fixed Asset Register including the lead schedule, key balance sheet accounts, depreciation reporting, and stewardship of the Asset Module within SAP.
• Provide key support for initiatives such as UEL reviews, investment papers/projects requiring new asset class structure, and helping shape future policy.
• Working with the team to ensure that regular statutory, regulatory and management reporting is robust, timely and accurate. Develop and enhance processes to support the reporting cycle.
• Own and produce audit deliverables for the half-year and year-end external audits and any corresponding analysis related to assets.
• Responsibility for specific analysis or queries arising from our Investment Committee, or as part of business as usual/monitoring and control activity. Work across the team to support the business with fixes and queries on accounting treatment including IFRS treatment of opex/CAPEX spend and depreciation.
• Supporting a shift towards embracing newer tools such as SharePoint/Teams sites and process automation to reduce data handling, standardise and streamline reporting. Tackle changing demands from stakeholders while delivering excellent customer service and developing effective working relationships across the business.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
• You must be a qualified accountant (CIMA / ACCA / ACA or equivalent) with strong analytical and excel skills.
• Solid experience in Assets (asset register) or Capex finance.
• Strong team-work and interpersonal skills to articulate and influence a variety of accounting and regulatory issues to a range of stakeholders, (for example External Audit).
• Have a positive, creative, results-driven mindset to tackle evolving reporting demands.
• Excellent attention to detail, written and verbal communication.
• Experience of working in a utilities/water organisation is desirable but not essential.
What’s in it for you:
This is a great opportunity to join a friendly and established team within a larger finance function and become a valued expert in your field. We’ll put you in contact with some of our most senior stakeholders and you’ll be a pivotal and highly valued member of the team. The position is offered as full time however we may be able to offer some flexibility on hours and remote working (our offices are based in central Reading).
Our competitive salary package includes an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday per year increasing to 30 with the length of service and a wider benefits scheme. This includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans, voucher scheme giving you money off in major retail outlets, loyalty awards for continuous service plus much more, including our referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re also proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer to leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water to around 10 million homes.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.