You will work as the ESS Head Grower in the maintenance and upkeep of all aspects of the organic market garden. This will include extensive crop management, plant propagation, and kitchen gardening. You will be required to work unsupervised aiming for the highest possible standards, providing advice to senior management on all aspects of the organic market garden, whilst working closely with the executive chef. What we'll give:
More about the role:
- £15 per hour depending on experience
- Compass exclusive offers on PerksAtWork
- Access to a wide range of programs to train and develop you
- Pension contribution
- 35 hours per week seasonal working 5 out of 7
- Holiday entitlement will be 20 days per annum plus bank holidays
We are looking for a Head Grower to take up the challenge of starting the market garden that will produce food for our onsite restaurants. Applicants are invited to share their ideas for developing a 1-acre site using a polytunnel and open gardens for fruit, vegetable and herb growing.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, qualified head grower to join our team to help with the establishment, development and daily management of our organic market garden. This offers a great opportunity for a skilled gardener to help deliver high quality produce for our onsite restaurants.
You will help, through your drive and attention to detail, develop and expand all aspects of the garden including the fruit, vegetable and herb growing, as well as the continued development of our local ecosystem within our environmental sustainability criteria.
To succeed in this role, you should be physically fit and able to manage small and heavy machinery. The ideal candidate will be friendly, professional and possess in-depth knowledge of effective gardening techniques.
Responsibilities will be but not limited to:
- Cultivating and establishing a growing garden on site.
- Yearly planning of crop rotations.
- Maintaining records of crop activities and observations.
- Compliance with all relevant health and safety rules and legislation.
- Planning and placing orders for materials and supplies.
- Placing and putting up polytunnels (non-essential).
- Establishing a composting system.
- Setting up and maintenance of an irrigation system.
- Growing and harvesting produce to the quality standard needed for onsite restaurants.
- Liaising with internal and external agencies.
Who you are:
We seek a capable individual who can demonstrate the following key attributes:
- A Comprehensive knowledge of growing, harvesting fruit, vegetables and herbs, with a minimum of 2 years' experience or RHS level 2 or equivalent qualification.
- A comprehensive knowledge and familiarity with most gardening practices, ideally backed up with a formal horticultural qualification.
- Be able to operate garden tools and equipment and have an understanding of basic maintenance on all handheld, pedestrian and ride-on machinery as well as an ability to complete routine pre-start checks.
- Must be a team player, conscientious, friendly, articulate, self-motivated and have a willingness to go the extra mile' in order to achieve a high standard of work.
- Be organised and methodical yet flexible in your approach to work, have an eye for detail and an ability to work using your own initiative.
- You should be familiar with the safe use of equipment and have a clear and good understanding of Health & Safety legislation including the preparation of risk assessments.
- Hold a valid driving licence.
Who we are:
As part of Compass, you have the opportunity to work behind the scenes at sports and leisure events, oilrigs and military bases, and in the heart of schools, hospitals, care homes, client offices and boardrooms - some 6,000+ locations across the UK and Ireland.
We do it all and so could you. Apply now and join the family!
ESS Support Services Worldwide, part of Compass Group UK and Ireland, is the defence, government, offshore and remote business sector of Compass Group UK & Ireland. It provides food and support services to major companies and organisations operating in remote sites, defence, central and local government departments, police, prisons & offshore sectors.
Please note that we reserve the right to remove this advert prior to the advertised date, dependent on the level of response received. You are therefore advised to apply at your earliest convenience.