Our Employment, Skills and Enterprise business provides support to citizens, from supporting the unemployed into sustainable work, to upskilling those with low or no vocational skills, so they can progress in work.
We are currently bidding on a number of contracts, the outcomes of which are due to be announced by the 16th April 2021. As such, we are expanding our team and we are looking to recruiting a Head of Centre of Excellence.
The role holder will be responsible for continuing to evolve and deliver a strategy of continuous improvement. In the employability sector this means increasing the number of participants getting back to work: in the skills sector this means improving our ability to recruit learners and for them to achieve their learning aims. Key to these aims will be creating and improving processes and systems that work to the needs of the participants. A complicating factor is that ESE primarily works through third party supply chain partners so there is a clear need to work cooperatively and collaboratively with third parties. Using data to track inputs and outputs to the processes and to generate insights from this data and using third parties (e.g. university research) to challenge assumptions will both be key to achieving our objectives.
The role will manage a team of approximately 20 staff and will manage project budgets of £0.5M.
You will be an integral part of the ESE leadership team and will contribute to the broader business agenda, ensuring that they play a role in the delivery of the business strategy & targets. It is expected that the role holder will form cross Serco relationships for the benefit of their business, in Citizen Services, UK&E and Serco Group.
To be successful in the post you should have the following skills and previous experience:
- Experience of leading a research organisation, preferably with public sector clients, focused on making public services work for citizens and commissioners alike.
- Experience of a range of consumer research techniques
- Proven track record in the full life cycle of project management from bidding to planning, operations, maintenance & customer service
- A recognised & respected leader with a strong network of stakeholders, customers and partners across the relevant sectors
- Demonstrable track record in building, leading and retaining teams of excellent talent
- Significant experience and a strong track record at a senior management level
- Excellent people leadership skills. Must be skilled in communicating, cross cultural management, organisational culture development and motivating staff
- Politically incisive in communicating effectively with customers, supply chain partners, sector stakeholders, partners and external bodies as relevant
- Thorough understanding of all aspects of safety and environmental issues related to operations
- A demonstrable understanding of the sectors, their market opportunity, key organisations and a strong knowledge of the political direction
- Must possess proven experience in a relevant sector related discipline
Interviews will likely be held virtually in late April/early May 2021, with a start date of 19th June 2021, with all roles being subject to contract award.
This is a remote position.
Meaningful and vital work: The nature of our business means you will do interesting work that matters - delivering essential services that truly touch people's lives;
A world of opportunity: Our diverse UK-wide operations offer unrivalled opportunities to learn and develop. You'll be able to broaden your experience and apply your skills in new ways;
Great people: We are a motivated team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You'll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse and supportive environment.
What we offer:
- Salary £68,000-£88,000 (dependent skills and experience) plus company car, bonus and healthcare
- Serco discounts which include cinema, Merlin entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme, and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships
- An autonomous and supportive culture
- The chance to make a positive difference to public sector services in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We're a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco supports fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required).