About the role:
Exciting things are happening within Thames Water and the water industry as a whole to improve end customers service and this is the perfect opportunity to join us on our journey.
Thames Water is at the forefront of the wholesale retail market and the inter wholesale market, known as the New Appointments and Variations (NAV).market. Wholesale Market Services (WMS) is accountable for the development and operation of wholesale sales to Non-Household Retailers and their end customers and the Wholesalers operating in the NAV market. s. These sales equates to around £400m of revenue. As well as managing up to approximately £200m of risk associated with market compliance.
As Head of Continuous Improvement, you will be responsible for coordinating improvements within Wholesale Market Services, interfacing to the Digital function and embedding large scale improvement programmes including digital transformation, customer service enhancements and cost-saving & efficiency programmes.
You will have expert knowledge of Wholesale Market Services’ role and activities, continuous improvement, transformation capability including embedding improvement initiatives. These programmes may extend across Thames Water for services we offer to Retailers, New Appoints and Variation (NAV) Water and Waste companies.Key Accountabilities:Transformation
Strategic Management / Delivery
- Work with Wholesale Market Service colleagues and the wider business stakeholders to establish the business vision and strategy, describing real-world business goals and explaining how to achieve them by means of digital and other improvement initiatives.
- Align Wholesale Market Services business stakeholders’ expectations and delivery team’ especially digital efforts by agreeing a clear improvement roadmap.
- Identifying business change opportunities that drive tangible outcomes to the strategic direction of Wholesale Market Services, championing adherence and challenges to new ways of working across the business and improving integrity of delivery processes
Engagement & Influence
- Accountable for effectively planning, delivering and embedding change initiatives to enhance the NHH Retail Market & NAV while ensuring minimal impact to BAU objectives
- Leading / highly visible role at working groups, challenging back to ensure necessary resources are available and actions are taken to deliver products or services that lead to effectiveness and efficiency benefits
- Provide any delivery teams with problem statements and work with to create the most suitable solution to the problem.
- Ensure requirements are clearly defined and prioritised in the delivery plans
- Ensure improvements meet the business needs and their impacts are understood.
- Effectively communicating delivery expectations.
- Leading coordination and delivery of business readiness activities to ensure impacted communities are ready and accepting of the required changes
- Collaborate with other business subject matter experts in areas of expert knowledge.
- Establish strong relationships to ensure ongoing sponsorship and engagement in change to drive successful delivery and to participate in business leadership activities in support of business development
- Engage across the senior leaders, ensuring sponsors and stakeholders understand and fulfil their roles in the assurance of a great business outcome
- Engage with external organisations in the market environment including customers, regulators, the market Panel and the Market Operator
- Own relationship with Rapid Delivery Team and other change teams across Thames Water and Capex governance cycle for change programmes
- Engaging with our people to ensure change is embraced and implemented effectively and efficiently across Wholesale Market Services wider Thames as appropriate.
Assure & Review
- Demonstrate progress by measuring the business value created by the output.
- Advocate learning and continuous improvement.
- Use evidence to drive prioritisation decisions.
To be successful you will have the following skills and experience:
- Lead the development of robust cases for change, with agreed outputs and outcomes
- Driving and facilitating reporting with key stakeholders to provide clear visibility on benefits tracking and realisation
- Leading benefits tracking activities to assess progress towards realisation and achieving embedded, measured improvements in business operations
- Working with quality assurance to link continuous process improvements which impact business performance by developing and applying a data-driven culture
What’s in it for you:
- Detailed and comprehensive knowledge of the role of Wholesale Market Services within the context of the market and Thames Water.
- A business subject matter expert with knowledge of the Wholesale Services market.
- Strategic thinker who can see the big picture and ask the astute questions to drive business outcomes
- Excited by the opportunity for improvement and its enablers such as digital technology
- Ability to structure, frame strategic issues, identify key analytics and drive to outcome.
- Developed awareness of various lean, agile delivery and improvement practices
- Experience of continuous delivery and experience in delivering in cross-functional teams
- Ability to rapidly understand the business needs and environments, future trends, opportunities and constraints
- Experience of building effective relationships with all levels of the business including executive level stakeholders
- Excellent leadership skills – demonstrating an ability to collaborate with and motivate teams
- Exceptional listening, communication and interpersonal skills to support teams in working towards a high functioning delivery culture
- Excellent organisation, planning skills
- Able to influence at senior levels
You will be joining a relatively new team and division with a welcoming and enthusiastic group of people.
The role is varied, giving you the opportunity to take responsibility and ownership, to think outside the box and to have thoughts and ideas used to create and improve your colleagues and customers experience.
Our competitive salary and package include a competitive bonus, car allowance, private healthcare, an excellent contributory pension, 26 days holiday. There is also a wider benefits scheme which includes an annual pay review, season ticket loans and loyalty awards for continuous service plus discounts at a wide range of retailers via Benefits on Taps. We also have a referral scheme, where you can receive £750 for helping someone get a permanent position within the company.
We’re proud to be here for our local community, offering everyone two days paid volunteer leave a year, as well as proudly supporting a lot of local events and charities.
Click here to find out more about working at Thames Water About us:
Thames Water is the UK’s largest water and wastewater company. We make a daily difference to millions of customers by supplying 2.7 billion litres of world-class water.
As our world changes, the need to take care of our most precious resource is greater than ever, both locally and globally. That’s why, at Thames Water, every one of our actions, big and small, matters every day. Water is essential to daily life, and that means our business is always open. We’re passionate about providing world-class tap water, now and for the future.
We’re also turning waste into power, self-generating 20% of the energy we use and, in turn, doing our bit for the planet. We’re reducing plastic waste by celebrating our tap water and rolling out an ambitious water fountain project. We’re using our voice to lobby for change and partnering with WaterAid to provide clean water to the world’s poorest communities.
Together, we’re building a better future for our customers, our region and our planet.
Thames Water is a unique, rewarding and diverse place to work. If you join our team, you’ll enjoy fast-tracked career opportunities, flexible working arrangements and unparalleled benefits. We’re also proud to be an equal opportunity employer, Stonewall Diversity Champion and Disability Confident Leader, welcoming individuals from all walks of life and leading the way with award-winning mental health and well-being strategy.