About The RoleAbout this opportunity
We are looking to recruit an energetic and enthusiastic Head of Cost Assurance to join our cost management team to support our continuing growth.
You will be working within our UK Infrastructure business to undertake a lead role working on a variety of projects in sectors such as Rail, Highways, Aviation, Utilities, Ports and Renewables.
We will consider candidates outside of Manchester.Responsibilities:
- Collaborating with our Infrastructure team to develop a compelling cost assurance service proposition.
- Build our relationship with our existing clients so that we become the go to consultant for commercial assurance.
- Engaging extensively with potential clients and alliance partners to build a strong pipeline of opportunities.
- Working with our regional infrastructure leads to develop infrastructure strategy, build our capability and value propositions to achieve high levels of conversion for the opportunity pipeline.
- Maintain a strong pipeline of potential recruits to support the opportunity pipeline.
- Drive growth in cost assurance across the UK. Support our teams to maximise their opportunity and our positioning on these opportunities. Lead and be accountable for cost assurance.
- Provide service reviews and assurance activities to ensure that we are meeting / exceeding client’s service delivery expectations.
As Head of Cost Assurance you will lead in-depth cost assurance programmes, principally across our Highways and Rail activities, in accordance with the terms of the contracts, both through substantive verification of costs and by assessment of contractors’ accounting and control systems.
- Establish and lead robust cost assurance programmes and teams, principally across our client’s programme, to enable appropriate assurance over cost.
- Provide Cost Verification project teams with appropriate direction, guidance and leadership on the application of appropriate Cost Verification processes to assess our client’s contractors’ compliance with the main conditions of contracts.
- Manage senior relationships with our client’s Supply Chain and Commercial teams to drive measurable improvement in contract compliance and value for money, ensuring consistency is maintained across a diverse supply chain.
- Provide leadership and direction for improvement plans resulting from Cost assurance activities, to drive value from contract and Commercial Management, whilst acting as a champion of exemplar cost management practices.
- Ensure specialist knowledge and appropriate technical approaches are applied and shared through appropriate management of information reporting, whilst drawing on cross-cutting industry and related programme experience.
- Ensure Cost assurance findings across all contract activities are well understood and communicated to the commercial and wider stakeholder community as appropriate.
- Lead financial audit programmes to review, test and verify contractors’ financial accounting and cost accounting systems, to ensure that they are adequate for the capture, allocation and reporting of expenditure in accordance with contract requirements.
- Ensure Cost assurance teams review, test and verify contractors’ controls and ensure procedures are in place for full and adequate monitoring and accounting of costs.
About The Candidate Who We Are Looking For:
- Experience in leading or directing major, complex and business-critical cost assurance, across the public and private sectors, driving success through genuine strategic insight
- Understanding of all commercial elements within large, complex projects, with a track record of achievement in identifying and delivering value from cost assurance activities across complex projects
- Experience of cost assurance and audit assignments, in your specialist field, where you are nationally or internationally renowned as an expert
- Effective communicator to successfully engage, promote and influence across a large range of internal and external stakeholders, including Board and Executive level
- Ability to lead a team of cost assurance professionals in a demanding major programme.
- Keen to develop early careers personnel
- Enjoy being part of a team
- Supportive of team members
Candidates will have a broad spectrum of technical knowledge relating to cost assurance in the Infrastructure sectors such as Rail, Highways, Aviation, Utilities, Ports and Renewables.
Experience in or a sound understanding of the following will be a distinct advantage in applying for this role:
- Working in the aforementioned Infrastructure sectors
- Working on Major Programmes and Projects
- Leading and managing teams cost assurance teams
- Contract Management (NEC experience required)
- Cost Management
- Cost Assurance
- Change Management and Control
In addition to having the required experience the following skills are considered important to be successful:
- The ability to absorb complex information and assess requirements readily
- Good communicator
- Good organisational skills
- Good understanding of collaboration and associated behaviours
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing environments
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Good negotiating skills
- Methodical way of thinking
- Good financial and numeracy management skills
- Knowledge of standard forms contracts (particularly NEC3)
- Ability to lead a team
- Computer literate
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
- Holds an appropriate professional body membership or equivalent (i.e. MRICS, ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc)
- Holds Holds or working towards an appropriate professional body membership or equivalent
As a Gleeds team member, you will have access to:
- Opportunities to develop and grow your career
- A generous holiday scheme plus the option to purchase additional days through the holiday purchase scheme
- A contributory pension scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Our global travel scholarship programme
- Flexible working arrangements
About The CompanyJoining usBe part of the extraordinary
Every day at Gleeds, we influence the way people around the world live, work and travel. Delivering on the world’s most iconic projects for globally renowned clients, our teams solve complex problems that shape the future of the built environment.
One of the qualities we value in people, is the ability to think creatively about the solutions we offer to clients. With 71 offices spanning the Americas, Europe, MENA and Asia Pacific our ability to innovate and improve is a product of the varied backgrounds and experience of our people. We welcome new perspectives and ideas.
Above all, we believe that quality relationships sit at the heart of good business. We strive to be the people that seek to understand and bring people together. Wherever we are in the world, our aspiration is to leave a positive legacy for people and local communities, whilst living and breathing our three core values:
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications regardless of age, disability, marital status, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, or gender.We recognise the importance of work/life balance and agree flexible working arrangements to suit each individual.Gleeds is a gold standard investor in people employer.
- We’re committed to our clients and our people
- We’re creative and realistic
- We combine professionalism with personality.