As head of software development, you are responsible for the engineering team that builds, runs and supports Quote API, and of course for the engineering qualities of the product itself. You are also expected to contribute more widely across Tesco Technology as a senior engineering leader.
Quote API is an HTTP service that is responsible for pricing a customer's basket, which involves applying prices, promotions and taxes. Promotions covers everything from simple price cuts to multibuys, colleague discount, earning Clubcard points and much more. An invoice is published for each completed customer transaction, which drives finance, restocking of stores etc. This is a critical strategic API within Tesco, powering all tills, online shopping and apps across the UK and ultimately all of the countries in which Tesco operates. It handles tens of thousands of requests per second in the cloud, which can be expected to increase significantly into the future.
The overall team under your direction comprises about fifty individuals, and is currently split into six sub-teams, each taking responsibility for a specific sub-domain. Each sub-team has a Software Development Manager (SDM), a Product Manager (PM) and six or so software development engineers. You also have Technical Programme Managers (TPMs) and Principle Software Development Engineers operating across these sub-teams. You will directly line manage the SDMs, who are key in achieving your objectives, and take on the bulk of the line management duties for the rest of the team, under your direction. Note that product managers come under a separate organisational hierarchy and do not report into you.
- Quote API is stable and performant in production.
- It is well supported, in and out of office hours, meeting SLAs for incident handling and delivering a great experience for colleagues and customers that need our help.
- It has routinely tested disaster recovery procedures that meet our tier one service obligations for time to recover and maximum amount of data loss (RTO and RPO).
- The team is happy and productive, maintaining a good, sustainable velocity in delivering new capabilities for the business, whilst continually investing in the technology stack.
- The team has clarity of technical vision and strategy for achieving it.
- The individuals in the team are cherished and developed, to further their own career ambitions and maximise fulfilment of their potential within Tesco.
- The engineering teams works brilliantly with their product managers, collaborating to design and implement Quote API.
- Spend is well understood and controlled, in terms of people and infrastructure/license costs.
Solving hard technical problems, especially for distributed systems at enterprise scale, is part of the job, but the engineering leaders within the teams are expected to do much of this. You will need to partake in many discussions and use your excellent analytical abilities, insight and judgement to make difficult decisions, always considering the impacts on customers and colleagues. You will tend to be involved in early requirements discussions along with product managers, bringing exciting new Tesco programmes to life.
Our vision here at Tesco is to become every customer's favourite way to shop, whether they are at home or out on the move. Our core purpose is Serving Britain's shoppers a little better every day'. Our business was built with a simple mission - to be the champion for customers, helping them to enjoy a better quality of life and an easier way of living. This hasn't changed. Customers want great products at great value which they can buy easily and it's our job to deliver this in the right way for them. In the UK, we serve some 66 shoppers every second, so it's our goal to ensure every one of those customers experiences just a little better service on each visit.
At Tesco, inclusion means that Everyone's Welcome. Everyone is treated fairly and with respect; by valuing individuality and uniqueness we create a sense of belonging.
Diversity and inclusion have always been at the heart of Tesco. It is embedded in our values: we treat people how they want to be treated. We always want our colleagues to feel they can be themselves at work and we are committed to helping them be at their best.
Across the Tesco group we are building an inclusive workplace, a place to actively celebrate the cultures, personalities and preferences of our colleagues - who in turn help to build the success of our business and reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.