Job Title: Head of Software Engineering Capability
Location: Bristol, Plymouth, or Tewkesbury
Take us into uncharted waters
Here at Babcock International, we are looking for a Head of Software Engineering who will strategically lead software development and innovation for Babcock Mission Systems. We are looking for a leader who is ambitious, energetic, and value-driven to join us - we will depend on you and your team to successfully deliver the software development activities we carry out on our customer programs including developing our products and setting our strategy for our customer focussed software capability covering our processes, procedures, tools, people and structure.
The difference our new Head of Software Engineering Capability will make
Software development is transforming and we want you to be the central focus and leader for our teams. You will be a key interface for our internal teams, providing the strategy for the future of customer focussed software development in Babcock Mission Systems and helping to guide the way we develop bids, proposals and delivery programmes.
You will help our customers by engaging them and illustrating our capabilities in an engaging way, and our software development teams by building a vision for the future. You will be a focal point and reference for delivery teams, to provide technical oversight, governance and assurance.
- In this role you will develop the software development strategy for Babcock Mission Systems, providing leadership and governance of activities and technical support across the whole of the Babcock Mission Systems business unit.
- You will have full accountability for technical design and development, and the delivery of all software engineering activities within Mission Systems by being accountable for performance, quality and cost. You will also have full responsibility for managing the programme, project and product demand for resource, and how the software engineering discipline satisfies the operational need.
- We are looking for someone who will be a great communicator and that will be a subject matter expert on software development at relevant forums, present at symposia, and coach and mentor individuals and guide programme teams to establish a software development community within Babcock Mission Systems.
Who are we looking for?
We're ideally looking for a degree qualified engineer who will bring fresh ideas into our teams, someone who can offer a broad experience and influence the way we do our business; someone who can listen and also guide the development space, working with our internal and external customers to create tangible improvements within DST and the wider Babcock.
This role requires someone with a broad software development background, including experience of working across the CADMID cycle within a dynamic development environment, experience of delivering software products within both a waterfall and an agile construct and experience of software development in a classified environment.
The successful candidate will have a sound commercial knowledge & experience, but also be a great communicator with experience of leading teams in an engaging way.
We're looking for a strategic thinker who has direct demonstrable experience of delivering transformational change in an organisation
- An aspiring engineering leader who is comfortable with close internal and external customer engagement, technical development and leading technical teams on complex solutions
- An experienced engineer who has a demonstrable understanding of embedded and full stack software development within enterprise scale systems development, qualification, integration and test, and ongoing In-Service Support
- You will have experience of developing a software engineering function and leading them to pursue excellence in delivery, a demonstrable background within Military and Civil programme delivery, with experience of leading development solutions using Agile, Waterfall and Hybrid methodologies, in combination with modern technologies, toolsets and languages
- Experience of successfully owning the delivery of software products including initial deployment and ongoing development roadmap and ideally you will have experience of software development in a communications environment
Mission System's primary locations are Bristol, Plymouth, and Tewkesbury. You will be based at one of these locations but will be expected to travel to our primary and other sites as required. Babcock Mission Systems operates agile working with a mix of home and office based.
Successful candidates will need to satisfy Ministry of Defence security requirements and may be required to complete a medical assessment.
The role will be in an environment regulated by Trade Control legislation and involve working with controlled goods, technology and/or services. This may require you to meet enhanced security and regular screening checks.
In return for your skill and passion, you'll get:
- Flexible working
- Autonomy to perform the role
- The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock's' fastest growing business unit.
As well as:
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays;
- Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance;
- Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
- Employee Share Plan;
- Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year;
- Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities;
- If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
Where it all fits in:
Defence Systems Technology (DST) forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock's Marine organisation. Our dynamic and motivated leadership team is committed to an exciting transformation agenda that will help DST to innovate, modernise and create a more people-focussed business that can support our customers' mission. Working across a range of exciting design, manufacture and support projects, DST employs approximately 1,500 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth, and Tewkesbury.
A number of employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within Babcock, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
- Location: Bristol, Plymouth or Tewkesbury
- The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview