Scottish Water has an exciting opportunity to join our Health and Safety Team in the North of Scotland. We are looking for an experienced Health & Safety Adviser to work in our Field Operations Team.
About the Role
The role will encompass providing Health and Safety advice and support to the multi-functional operational teams in the North including western and northern Isles. For operational and logistical reasons, the preferred base would be a northern mainland location and potential candidates may need to consider relocation.
In order to fulfill this role, candidates will need to have:
- Personal attributes that will satisfy specific requirements; an ability to work autonomously and at times remotely given the geographical coverage and demonstrate drive and enthusiasm in order to provide excellent service to customers.
- The ability to meet the geographical challenge in relation to customer locations with the mainland and Islands covered as part of the role. The ideal candidate would need to be someone who is energetic, can work effectively in a team and under their own initiative. Extensive travel around the area of responsibility will be required to ensure you have the ability to respond to meet our customers’ needs within short timescales when necessary.
- The ambition ability and motivation to further develop their H&S career towards a management role.
- A clean UK driving licence.
The post-holder will play a pivotal role in increasing safety awareness, improving compliance, decreasing workplace incidents, and building an organisational culture for Health & Safety by ensuring business and partner engagement with Health & Safety performance, risk management methodology and culture. Within these highly visible roles, the post-holders will be able to develop safety practices to support the most efficient way of embedding effective health and safety skills and behaviours into Scottish Water.
Working at Scottish Water
We look after Scotland's most precious natural resource. From source to tap, we're trusted to keep our customers supplied with world class water and care for our environment every minute of every day.
We take employee engagement very seriously and have an inclusive and collaborative work environment where we value and respect people’s differences. We want all of our employees to feel as though they belong at Scottish Water by creating a positive employee experience which energises enables and engages our people.
In 2019 we were recognised by The Times as a Top 50 Employer for Women and we won the Age Inclusion award at the Herald and GenAnalytics Diversity Awards which reflects how we support our employees to thrive throughout all stages of their working lives. We have achieved the Carers Positive Exemplary Status which recognises the supporting networks we provide for our employees who have caring responsibilities and the Defence Employer Recognition Scheme Silver Award which reflects our approach to supporting veterans, reservists and their families. Our memberships with Women on Boards, Stonewall, and the Business Disability Forum also highlight our commitment to inclusion.
We aim for work to be an energising and fulfilling experience and everyone plays their part to ensure that Scottish Water is trusted to serve our customers and communities.
You will have access to a host of benefits which include 37 days holiday a year, a defined benefit pension scheme, a discounted medical cash plan and cycle to work, plus a variety of agile working arrangements and family-friendly policies designed to support your wellbeing.
Essential to the Role
- To fulfill the legal requirements placed on Scottish Water advisers will provide comprehensive health and safety advice and support regionally, at all levels within the business. The role holder will assist with the systematic identification, evaluation, control and monitoring of risks; contribute to and champion the development and implementation of Scottish Water policies and arrangements to ensure compliance with legislation and strategic business objectives and build an organisational culture for Health and Safety.
- To research, develop, implement and continuously review health and safety policies, procedures and arrangements (e.g. utility avoidance, excavations, traffic management, working at height, lifting operations, COSHH, DSEAR, lone working, first aid etc.) to assist in promoting safe working practices alongside other business priorities.
- Support HAZOP and process safety analysis co-ordinated by the construction team
- Ensures all business functions use the single corporate SW H&S Systems
- To provide competent, cost effective, influential, specialist and practical H&S advice, guidance and support to the business based on interpretation of legislation, codes of practice and an understanding of industry best practice. Keeps up to date with developments in legislation and industry best practice
- To advise Management on the development of health and safety plans for the whole of Scottish Water and for specific clients within Scottish Water (e.g. action and project plans to mitigate risks from risk profiling exercises)
- To promote a positive health and safety culture within Scottish Water by enabling managers and employees to understand and action their responsibilities through the design and delivery of training and follow-up support and gathering feedback to enable continuous improvement of policies, arrangements and procedures to ensure best practice, best value and going beyond compliance to achieve zero harm
- To contribute to the audit and review of the Scottish Water safety management system.
- To actively monitor activities across Scottish Water’s operations including, suppliers, contractors and partners which promote the identification and avoidance of system failures.Respond with urgency to any loss making event to the business or harm to employees, (e.g. investigation of accidents and incidents)
- To work closely with key customers and improve H&S performance through effective customer liaison (e.g. management teams, safety committees, safety initiatives); building strong, trusting customer relationships through close support and enthusiasm.
Core Skills Required
- Capable of working as part of a high performing team and with a desire for personal development to realise their full potential and achieve results through training and effective coaching from external and internal sources.
- NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent.
- Ability to make decisions based on analysis of information within a very fast paced, customer focused environment.
- Fully conversant with the Risk assessment process and development of Safe systems of work.
- Experience of engaging key stakeholders to achieve positive outcomes.
- Experience and understanding of operational processes and practices.
- Understanding of the legislative and regulatory environment within which Scottish Water operates.
- NEBOSH Diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of the Utility industry particularly excavations, shoring and preventing utility damage.
- Practical and theoretical knowledge of the accident investigation process and the ability to write management reports.
Any offer of employment with Scottish Water will be subject to the successful completion of a mandatory pre-employment screening process, including Disclosure Scotland and eligibility to work in the UK. Details can be found on our website.
For more information about this role, please contact:SWRecruitment@scottishwater.co.uk
The closing date for applications is Friday 25th September 2020
Please note. Direct applications won't be considered. We are not in a position to accept CV’s or notes of interest via email, it is an online application.
Due to the current Covid-19 restrictions, all interviews and assessments will be carried out via video call.