Health Safety & Environment Lead
About the role
Here at Babcock International we're looking to recruit a Health Safety & Environment in Design Lead Engineer. This position reports into the Head of Design and is responsible for setting the standards and expectations for projects, supporting/advising and maintaining oversight of design development from an HS&E perspective.
A significant programme of infrastructure investment is required on the Devonport site to meet the needs of the future ship and submarine programmes. 'Major Infrastructure Projects' (MIP) Business Unit has been established to focus on the significant facility developments. The key focus of the role is minimising the HS&E risk to both construction phases and subsequent facility operational phase including maintenance, by taking adequate actions/measures during and in design development.
Key responsibilities are to:
- Ensure HS&E design management arrangements are in place and adequate to ensure consistency and clarity of expectations throughout the MIP Portfolio of Projects
- Provide design focused HS&E advice/support throughout the MIP Portfolio and with relevance to all lifecycle phases, especially construction, facility operations and maintenance
- Advise on and contribute to design and technical governance management process in relation to HS&E e.g. legislation and BAT
- Oversight of the MIP Portfolio for compliance with HS&E design arrangements and input to Technical Governance
- Close collaboration with all MIP/Site HS&E stakeholders with the potential to affect design e.g. CDM roles, Environmental Protection/Sustainability etc
What do I need to do the role?
You'll need a Degree or equivalent in an appropriate engineering discipline, be a Chartered Engineer registered with Engineering Council or working towards and be a chartered member of IOSH or working towards.
We would also like you to hold experience in all or some of the following:
- Comprehensive HS&E experience in infrastructure construction, operations and maintenance, specifically including CDM and Environmental Protection/Sustainability
- Extensive experience in design development and implementation with respect to nuclear and conventional infrastructure/facilities
- Broad multi engineering discipline experience
- Significant experience in the production and implementation of management arrangements in relation to HS&E in design
- Ideally you will also have a NEBOSH qualification
What else do I need to know?
- The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
- Babcock offers a supportive environment including: enhanced employment terms and conditions, money purchase pension scheme with life assurance, share ownership scheme, Occupational Health services, flexible working hours, career opportunities and specialist advice and guidance from our Learning & Development teams
About Babcock International and Devonport
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence Company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training. You will be based at Devonport Royal Dockyard in Plymouth, Devon. Working at Devonport puts the best of the South West at your fingertips. Amazing scenery, vibrant towns and numerous leisure opportunities - It's why Devon and Cornwall are such a desirable place to live and work. Comprising of 14 dry docks, four miles of waterfront and 25 tidal berths, Devonport is the base for numerous surface vessels as well as the base and refit centre for the Trafalgar-class nuclear-powered submarines. Devonport has also recently been selected as the base port for the Navy's new Type 26 frigates and will become the maintenance centre for the future submarine programme.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly. We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website.