We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
In April 2017 Amey was awarded the contract with Highways England to provide Design Services in Area 13 which covers Cumbria and North Lancashire. We are co-located with Highways England in two offices situated in Preston and Penrith and deliver around £4m worth of Design Work each year.
We have an opportunity for a Civil Engineer, based in our Preston office, to work on Highways design schemes. You will provide effective support and assistance to the senior engineers and team leaders on a variety of highways design projects which includes working closely with the client (Highways England), other engineers, works staff and contractors to deliver the project to the highest possible standard of safety and performance.
As a Highways Design Engineer, you will work on projects such as:
- A585 Norcross roundabout - a congestion relief scheme converting an existing unsignalized rbt to a signalised roundabout with benefits of improving safety for non-motorised users
- A590 Cross-a-moor roundabout - a new roundabout to replace the existing priority junction allowing the delivery of residential developments
- A66 Eden Valley Project - 7no. large renewal schemes combined on the A66 Eden Valley corridor. An example of collaborative working with the wider stakeholder community to deliver large surfacing outputs
- A590 corridor scheme - Full re-construction of the existing carriageway using ex-situ recycling techniques with the aim to achieve the first carbon neutral pavement scheme within Highways England.
The highways group is a friendly team of c.25 professionals with a broad range of experience. Having worked at Assistant or Civil Engineer level previously, you may have completed a professional qualification or have a training plan towards this. We pride ourselves on mentoring engineers and can offer significant support towards Chartership, with a bonus of up to £5k on completion.
In a typical week you will:
- Take technical ownership of activities that will include the preparation of highway design solutions for civil engineering works at preliminary and detailed design stages, providing support to Senior Engineers.
- Manage fee for your own individual schemes, identifying change notifications for any change of scope imposed.
- Lead Graduates and Technicians in preparing design solutions for civil engineering projects at preliminary and detailed design stages.
- Liaise with Highways England in a client-sharing office in a friendly, efficient and effective way
- Work on progressing towards your professional institution
- Assist with schemes on site and liaise with the principle contractor, responding to technical queries and early warnings
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Team
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have completed (or agree to) a formal training agreement leading towards Chartered Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council and agreed a realistic programme towards achieving professional qualification, or alternatively have achieved Incorporated Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council
- Have an appreciation of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You can demonstrate developing experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in an Assistant Engineer role or equivalent
- You can produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You can demonstrate an understanding of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers