We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
After a successful first year, and due to an increased workload, we are looking to recruit a Highway Engineer for the Area 10 Design Services Contract. You will work within the Highways and Designated Funds Design team and alongside our Client Highways England, providing effective support and assistance to the Senior Engineers and Design Team Leaders on a variety of highways schemes. With a growing team of 45+ staff, we work collaboratively with Highways England in a shared office space in Birchwood, working flexibly around our core hours of 10-3 with agile working possible.
As a Highway Engineer at Amey Consulting, you'll see your work progress from early design to the Construction, with every project being different from the last. You'll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You'll have the opportunity to thrive and we'll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve your ambitions.
We strongly encourage the development towards a professional qualification with a recognised Institution and pride ourselves on mentoring engineers. We offer significant support towards Chartership, and you will be rewarded with a bonus of up to £5k on completion - 4 members of the team gained Chartered accreditation within the last 4 weeks.
In a typical week you will:
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your team
- Liaise with the Client and our Community partners to ensure solutions that are developed are suitable for buildability and maintainability
- Lead on the delivery of scheme design, as well as providing support to Senior Engineer within the design team on various design duties including:
- Feasibility and other technical reports
- Planning, programming and cost estimation
- Design production
- Produce design schedules
- Review and amend design drawings
- Produce Specifications
- Support development of Graduate Engineers and Technicians
- Work to programme to deliver specified designs on time
- Prepare technical reports (eg Feasibility/Options Reports, Assessment Reports and other technical reports)
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Carry out site surveys, inspections and supervision of junior colleagues on site
- Keep up to date with your own personal development to ensure the natural growth of the team and progression with your chosen professional institution
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have completed (or agree to) a formal training agreement leading towards Chartered Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council and agreed a realistic programme towards achieving professional qualification, or alternatively have achieved Incorporated Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council
- Have an appreciation of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You can demonstrate developing experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in an Assistant Engineer role or equivalent
- You can produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers