We deliver forward-thinking solutions for the world's biggest asset owners, transforming the places where we live, work and travel. Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original thinking, then turning it into a reality. We arrive at better answers because we ask better questions.
From complexity comes simplicity. From better thinking, better solutions.
Think big, create better
Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
Amey Consulting provide design and other support services to Staffordshire County Council (SCC) and developers across the whole of the county. Due to our busy and increasing workload we are growing the team, with the addition of a Highways Developments Engineer.
As our Highways Development Engineer, you will assist in the technical checking of developer submitted schemes, proposed to become adopted public highway or for related works on the existing public highway. This role would suit an experienced Highways or Traffic Design Engineer/Developer who wants to use this knowledge to specialise in this technical area; for example, you will have been involved in design for local and housing estate roads in relation to S38, S111 and S278 Agreements and have a good understanding of Manual for Streets, DMRB, other national standards.
Our partnership with Staffordshire County Council was established in 2014, and is a £1bn pound initiative to help deliver sustainable economic growth to the region. Our 70-person strong Staffordshire Design Hub (SDH) leads on a full spectrum of infrastructure work and transport planning for the council and private clients (locally and nationally), while also playing a leading national role in asset management.
Based in central Stafford and in the same building as SCC, we have large modern spaces to work in which are a short walk from the train station and with excellent road links to Birmingham, Derby, Manchester and Telford. The highways group is a friendly team of c.70 professionals with a broad range of experience.
Having worked at Civil Engineer level, you may have completed a professional qualification or have a training plan towards this. We pride ourselves on mentoring engineers and can offer significant support towards Chartership, with a bonus of up to £5k on completion.
We also have a progressive, flexible attitude towards accommodating work life balance and flexible/agile working.
In a typical week you will:
- Do technical checking of highway designs including layouts, materials, highway drainage, construction details design approach, calculations, drawings and documents submitted by third party developers/consultants for compliance with relevant design standards and drawings
- Prepare technical reports and other written documents in an appropriate format ensuring compliance with procedures
- Undertake site visits and Inspections
- Attend meetings and discussions with the client and developers
- Provide support and progress updates to the Senior Engineer
- Liaise with other Engineers within the design team to ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards.
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have completed (or agree to) a formal training agreement leading towards Chartered Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council and agreed a realistic programme towards achieving professional qualification, or alternatively have achieved Incorporated Engineer status as defined by the Engineering Council
- Have an appreciation of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You can demonstrate developing experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in an Assistant Engineer role or equivalent
- You can produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements, working under supervision
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- You can demonstrate an understanding of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers
What else is better about working for Amey?
Our success comes from a practical approach. We pride ourselves on solving complex challenges with original, real-world thinking, then turning it into a reality. Your solutions will have impact, making a genuine difference to people's lives. It's what makes a career with us unlike any other.
We value collective expertise, but also the spark one person can bring. As one of us, you can really be you, because your individuality is an asset. You'll be surrounded by people who want you to thrive and embrace new challenges.
You'll work in a team that is open-minded and where every idea will count. You'll be stretched, but always supported. Well recognise your hard work and look after your well-being too. You'll be empowered to play your part and achieve, encouraged to fulfil your own ambition as well as the shared one.
We don't believe in typical: we believe a diversity of backgrounds and skills create the best environment and opportunities. It means we ask better questions to arrive at better answers because we learn from each other's perspectives. And this means better outcomes for our clients our communities and ourselves.