Amey Consulting's Highways teams impact the journeys of millions across the UK, by working in partnership with a range of clients and providing consultancy design services for Strategic and Local Highway networks.
Our teams work on both major design projects and local network improvements and undertake services on national to local frameworks; including those with Highways England Area 10,13 and 14 accounts to Wales and Borders - Amey Keolis and the Midlands Highways Alliance (MHA).
We make our towns and cities better places to live by improving connectivity, journey times and quality of life.
We are looking for a Highway Structures Design Team Leader for the Area 10 Design Services Contract. Working as a Senior Engineer, you will sit within the Structures Design team and work alongside our client, Highways England. You will provide effective support and assistance to the Structures Manager whilst line managing a new team of 3-5 engineers and managing multiple highway structures schemes.
With a growing team of 45+ staff, we work collaboratively with Highways England in a shared office space in Birchwood. We create innovative solutions to complex highway structures design problems, whilst working flexibly around our core hours of 10-3 - with agile working possible.
As a Highway Structures Design Team Leader at Amey Consulting, you'll see your schemes progress from early design to Construction, with every project being different from the last and each with its own unique challenges. You'll feel inspired to challenge yourself, as well as your colleagues. You'll have the opportunity to thrive and we'll help you shape your career whether through further qualification, learning new skills or whatever else you need to achieve your ambitions.
In a typical week you will:
- Drive effective health and safety practices within your Design Team
- Work with the Principal Designer and Discipline Manager(s) to lead designs within the structures discipline
- Liaise with the Client and our Community partners to ensure solutions that are developed are suitable for buildability and maintainability
- Ensure all aspects of the design are communicated between disciplines
- Ensure compliance with all relevant technical standards
- Work with the Programme Delivery Manager to ensure schemes are delivered to the programme and within the agreed budgets
- Develop, and provide guidance to, less experienced staff
- Check or approve designs, design reports and other technical documents
- Check or approve design calculations
- Provide commercial information to the Design Manager and Commercial Manager for Work Package pricing
- Ensure innovation and best practice is highlighted and adopted where practicable
We want to hear from you if:
- You have a Bachelors or Masters degree in an appropriate subject
- You have Chartered or Incorporated status held with an appropriate professional body
- You are an accredited trainer with a relevant professional institution, e.g. Delegated Engineer for the Institution of Civil Engineers
- You are able to demonstrate developed experience and expertise within the relevant technical field, probably gained in a Civil Engineer role or equivalent
- You are able to demonstrate an ability to produce or oversee the production of technically sound engineering solutions, complying with all relevant technical standards and client requirements with the experience to check and approve documents
- You are experienced in undertaking project related tasks associated with health, safety and welfare, e.g. Construction (Design and Management) Regulations Technical report writings skills and associated knowledge
- You are experienced in the application of technical governance procedures within a consulting engineering environment
- You have knowledge of technical governance procedures and how they are applied within a consulting engineering environment
- You have the ability to lead design on schemes with support from Graduates and Assistant Engineers
- You have the ability to solve problems in collaboration with clients and other stakeholders
- Experience of mentoring and/or coaching less experienced staff
Our rewards make us better people here at Amey Consulting. If you're happy, you'll think better. It's a simple formula but one that puts your wellbeing as a top priority, that's why we've worked hard to build a reward and benefits program that puts you first, including;
- Competitive salary
- Exceptional development and progression plan
- Contributory Pension Scheme
- Minimum 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays
- Additional Leave Purchase Scheme
- Amey Rewards Portal including healthcare, dental and childcare vouchers