Lead Electrical Design Engineer
Salary & Benefits (4a): £43,973 - £54,968 + up to 10% pension with 5% contribution + annual bonus + retail savings schemes + online GP access + life assurance cover + free on-site parking + 25 days holiday + 1 wellbeing day + bank holidays
Location: Buttershaw, Bradford, hybrid working, 1 day in the office per week
Work type: Permanent. 37 hours per week, Monday - Friday.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Lead Electrical Design Engineer to join the Engineering Design team at Yorkshire Water and be a part of helping Yorkshire Water to provide the best service to our customers. Could this be you?
What we do:
Everyone has an idea of what a water company does. Here in Yorkshire, we make sure that over 5.4 million people living in the region and the millions of people who visit our region each year, can rely on our services, and have clean and safe drinking water on tap and that their wastewater is taken away. But for us, it's so much more than this.
We look after communities, protect the environment, and plan to look after Yorkshire's water, today, tomorrow 24/7, 365 days a year. We provide essential water and wastewater services to every corner of the Yorkshire region, and play a key role in the region's health, wellbeing, and prosperity.
New environmental legislation, unprecedented levels of investment and changing expectations from customers means that this is an exciting time to discover opportunities within the water industry. The Engineering Design team are a key part of how we plan to meet the changing expectations of customers and regulators.
Working for a client organisation you will work closely with a team of professional process, civil and mechanical design engineers on feasibility studies and optioneering to come up with the most economical design solution. The studies will include looking at innovation in the solution and new processes from the supply chain.
The Lead Design Engineer will be responsible for the preparation of in-house designs. The role will involve preparing electrical designs and supporting the development of standard designs. The Lead Design Engineer will report to the Senior Design Engineer.
- As part of a multi-disciplinary engineering design team, carry out engineering design work as necessary on selected schemes.
- Review engineering design documents prepared by the strategic planning partner at outline design and capital delivery partners at tender and construction design.
- Provide engineering support from project definition through to detailed design and commissioning via design meetings, value engineering meetings, Hazard studies and site visits.
- Develop technically and economically proficient engineering solutions against a TOTEX and whole life cycle process (cost & carbon).
- Liaise with suppliers, technical planning and procurement personnel on design and specification of equipment and construction activities in order to increase the quality and number of Standard Designs and percentage Design for Manufacture and Assembly (DfMA).
- Drive innovation and engineering excellence into designs.
- Drive excellent standards and performance in health and safety in design, risk management and ensure compliance with the YW Safety Policy.
Essential knowledge and skills required
- A degree level qualification (or equivalent) in engineering discipline.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater treatment processes.
- Significant engineering design experience in the water industry.
- Experience of working in a multi-discipline design team.
- A strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex technical concepts into more readily understood information suitable for a wider business audience, able to influence people across multifunctional teams throughout the business.
- Experience of working on multiple deliverables to project deadlines.
- Experience in the application of quality procedures and document control in engineering design.
- Full valid UK driving license.
We embrace a flexible working model, where our hybrid setup typically requires an average of 1 day in the office per week. This could be slightly more when collaborative efforts, training or meeting deadlines demand it. For those who prefer to work on-site, our office is open Monday-Friday during working hours.
If you're an experienced Lead Electrical Design Engineer professional and want to help us deliver exceptional service for our customers whilst protecting the environment, then apply today to find out what a career with Yorkshire Water can offer for you.
We are proud to serve the Yorkshire region and are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment that is reflective of the communities we serve. We strongly encourage candidates of all different backgrounds to apply.
If successful for the role, you will be required to undergo pre-employment checks that will include a Basic Disclosure Check, carried out through a Third Party Company, prior to commencing employment. Depending on the role, you may also be required to go through the security vetting process for either a Counter Terrorist Check or Security Check clearance.
Kelda Group reserve the right to close this position before the published closing date, should the need occur. We therefore advise that you complete and submit your application as soon as possible.