Job Title: Lead Innovation Engineer
Babcock Defence Systems Technology (DST) has an enviable reputation for fostering partnerships and innovation, and delivering technological advantage to an array of global customers. We are building on these strengths with the creation of an innovation hub which will be at the forefront of our contribution to ensure DST remains at the forefront of defense and security innovation.
The Technology, Design and Innovation (TDI) team will be built from a diverse mix of skillsets, backgrounds and experiences; highly motivated people who are driven by the prospect of working with industry leading technology in a challenging, agile and forward looking environment. A dynamic bench of professionals comprising both permanent and secondee positions, TDI will adapt to bring fresh thinking to growth opportunities, develop new capabilities and put innovation at the centre of DST growth moving forward.
Here at Babcock International, we are at the beginning of the TDI journey and are looking to appoint a Lead Innovation Engineer who will provide technical leadership to our design and innovation activity across our portfolio of projects across multiple domains.
Our Lead Innovation Engineer will inspire and empower the diverse team, to stretch and succeed, in realising innovation projects and prototypes across multiple domains.
We envisage the successful applicant is likely to be working at, or able to work at the level of a Chief Engineer and will be;
- An enthusiastic and creative technologist who has experience of designing, testing and demonstrating prototypes, often from a minimal brief and occasionally from the germ of an idea
- A confident leader who wants to take the design off the whiteboard and turn it into reality, as an active member of the team solving problems and delivering solutions.
- Someone who thrives in an environment where requirements and priorities can change rapidly to meet the needs of our customers and where every day is a learning day; actively seeking out new knowledge, tools and technologies to help take us forward into the future
- Experienced with successfully transitioning innovation projects into mainstream delivery within a wider business
As the Senior Technical Authority within the team, our Lead Innovation Engineer will take the lead in technical stakeholder engagement and communication both internally within Babcock and externally with customers and partners. From the development of novel technologies to the delivery of end to end integrated solutions, they will work closely with the Head of Future Solutions to deliver projects across the spectrum of the DST portfolio of customers and the wider Babcock customer base.
Knowledge and Experience
The ideal candidate will be an inspiring senior engineering professional who is comfortable with close customer engagement, technical proposal development and leading technical teams to deliver complex solutions within an agile R&D environment.
Possessing a broad array of technical knowledge, skills and experience you will be comfortable facing into a wide range of communication and integration themed innovation projects ranging from embedded prototypes to GIS and the identification and exploitation of new technologies.
You will be asked to demonstrate that you are critical thinkers, bringing innovative approaches and the ability to work at pace balancing multiple priorities concurrently. Collaboration, adaptability and inclusion are key to the success of DST and these will be core attributes of all TDI team members.
What else do I need to know?
- All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.