Join us as a Legal Counsel
- This is an excellent opportunity to join us as a Legal Counsel, where you’ll help deliver the legal strategy and provide expert, accurate and cost-effective legal advice to business stakeholders
- Your role will sit within our Commercial Banking business area, so we’ll need you to have an understanding of associated legal issues
- You’ll be recognised as an expert in your field, and be exposed to stakeholders across the bank and externally
What you'll do
We’re looking for an experienced Legal Counsel to join our Transaction Banking team. You'll be involved in providing advisory support to our Non-Personal Transaction Banking and Working Capital Product teams as well as to our frontline business in Banks & Transaction Services, Sales & Specialist Businesses, Mettle and FreeAgent.
You’ll work closely with stakeholders and legal colleagues to ensure the timely, effective and efficient delivery of all issues, projects and initiatives, either directly or through a team.
Additionally, you’ll be:
- Providing advice across a range of transformation, innovation and mandatory change projects and initiatives
- Making sure that legal advice is readily understandable to non-lawyers, delivered within relevant timescales, and manages and minimises legal risks
- Delivering continuous improvement in operating practices and processes, including identifying efficiencies, improvements and opportunities to reduce costs
- Providing the communication of internal and external legal advice and helping to deliver transactions and projects to stakeholders in a commercial, user friendly and efficient manner
- Managing legal costs through the use of e-billing, auctions and other cost tools and driving a culture of disciplined cost management and controls
The skills you'll need
To be successful in this role, you’ll need experience of providing legal and commercial advice in relation to transactions and projects in-house, or in a leading UK law firm. We’ll expect you to have in depth knowledge of general banking law and practice, and the financial services industry, coupled with the ability to establish and maintain strong relationships across the bank.
Due to the nature of the role, you'll need the ability to upskill and be able to advise across a broad range of products, including cash and liquidity, payables and receivables, and trade and working capital products. Knowledge and experience of some of the banking products we support is desirable, but not essential.
You’ll also need:
- The ability to deliver pragmatic advice in a clear and concise manner
- Knowledge of the commercial and private banking business activities, the commercial environment within which it operates and associated legal issues
- Experience of working with leading law firms and other professional advisers and consultants
- The ability to keep up to date with and share relevant legal and market developments
- We are offering this opportunity on a 12 month fixed-term contract