Here at Serco we're looking for a Local Taxation Manager to join our Revenues Team working in partnership with Peterborough City Council.
You'll lead and manage our Revenues Services Team to ensure that they are effective in the billing and recovery of Council Tax and Business Rates. Support, motivate, develop and guide Team Leaders to lead the wider teams and ensure they have the appropriate training, empowerment and responsibility to carry out their own roles. Other day to day responsibilities include:
- Maintenance of policy and strategy within the Local Taxation Service ensuring they are in line local and national policies and priorities; develop and establish systems and procedures to ensure all process Council Tax and Business Rates matters effectively and efficiently, and in line with audit requirements;
- Productions of management information and reporting, government returns and financial reconciliations;
- Facilitate collaborative working; especially with Benefits and Customer Services to improve efficiencies and customer experience;
- Communicate changes in working practices, together with decision-making and work processing requirements and encourage all team members to develop and improve the service;
What you'll need to do the role:
Due to the nature of the role, you will have extensive experience and background in Local Taxation. An IRRV (Tech) qualification is also required. You will have in depth understanding of the legislative frameworks and key issues relating to Council Tax and Business Rates as well as excellent understanding of best practice for the administration of Council Tax and Business Rates.
We are looking for candidates who have a good understanding of the legislative frameworks and processes relating to Council Tax Support. Experience and knowledge of the use of information technology as related to Council Tax and Business Rates is also essential.
A strong people manager, you'll provide leadership management, coach, mentoring and development of your team.
With a professional approach you will have the ability to manage conflicting priorities in a pressurised work environment. You'll use your own initiative to develop solutions, plan ahead and anticipate consequences and impact and manage large scale change.
Meaningful and vital work: Serco is a public services expert that specialises in the delivery of essential public services with over 50,000 people working across the world in Defence, Transport, Justice, Immigration, Health, and other Citizen Services across national, state and local government.
A world of opportunity: We will give you the tools you need to succeed, providing you with the tools and knowledge to deliver; you'll have the chance to grow and develop;
Great people: We are a driven team who will encourage you and help you to succeed. You'll have the resources you need to do your job in a diverse environment.
What we offer:
- Salary up to £52k (dependent upon skills and experience)
- Flexible work from home options available;
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays and the chance to purchase more;
- Serco discounts which include cinema, entertainment and online shopping discounts, cycle to work scheme and discounts on mobile phone plans and leisure centre memberships;
- We are constantly challenging ourselves and each other to deliver brilliantly, and you will too, working in a company passionate about diversity and inclusion;
If you think this role would suit you; working with like-minded individuals, please apply now and upload a copy of your CV and covering letter.
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We're a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco supports fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required).
*Google Chrome is the preferred browser to access Serco careers website*