HMP Lowdham Grange, Nottinghamshire
£26,500 per annum + Benefits
Here at Serco we're looking for a Maths Tutor to join us at HMP Lowdham Grange in Nottinghamshire. You will be developing, administering and delivering all aspects of your specialist subject at the varying levels and in line with the core curriculum and awarding body specifications.
You will assist the Education Managers/ Head of Learning and Skills in the delivery of an education provision which increases employability, reduces the likelihood of reoffending and prepares prisoners for a successful return to the community
The postholder will be preparing individual lesson plans, planning learning activities, using high quality learning materials, equipment and resources to maximise productive and effective learning opportunities for learners. Planning agreed programmes of education activities to meet course aims and objectives, including syllabi and schemes of work, reviewing and revising as continuous quality improvement.
As part of this you'll:
- Maintaining accurate records, including learner attendance, records of work, progression route and levels of achievement. Presenting reports for recruitment, retention and achievement and other performance reports as required.
- Establishing and maintaining positive and professional relationships with learners, to create an appropriate environment for learning. Ensure certification for those learners participating in the course as well as provide learners with feedback and guidance to support their learning on a regular basis.
- Actively promoting all programme activities and ensuring that current, accurate and appropriate promotional material is available for the courses for they are responsible.
- Working in accordance with all statutory, Home Office, company and department requirements. This will include reporting security and /or intelligence information immediately to the Head of Learning Skills and making referrals to the designated person/professional service providers.
- As required, to carry out rub down searching of prisoners to support the security aspects of the Tutor position.
What you'll need to do the role
First and foremost, you'll need to have worked in a similar role for a minimum of 1-3 years, obtained a Level 3 Award in Education & Training (QCF) (Level 4 highly desirable), Certificate in Education, PGCE as well as a Level 3 in the specialist subject (Level 5 highly desirable). If you have previously worked in a custodial environment this would be extremely advantageous.
The successful applicant will demonstrate that they have experience working in an environment that demands strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. You will also showcase your ability to form strong working relationships, work to very tight deadlines and continuously look for ways to improve teaching methods.
Meaningful and vital work - You'll contribute to the reintegration of ex-offenders back into society, helping them to address the factors that influence criminal behaviour and lowering reoffending rates
A world of opportunity - With six prisons across the UK and a breadth of roles, you'll be wholeheartedly supported with development and career progression
Great people - You'll become an integral member of a well-defined and supportive team. who believe passionately in the value of our work.
What we offer
- Flexible and part time working considered
- 10-day pa CPD
- Pension - 6%
- Bike4Work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Chance to contribute to innovation in the public services/prisons sector
- A company passionate about diversity and inclusion
- Serco Benefits package
At Serco, not only is the nature of the work we do important, everyone has an important role to play, from caring for vulnerable people to managing complex public services. We are a team of 50,000 people responsible for delivering essential public services around the world in areas including defence, transport, justice, immigration, healthcare and citizen services. We are innovators, committed to redesigning and improving public services for the benefit of everyone.
By joining Serco you will have unlimited access to our Global Employee Networks - SercoInspire (Gender), SercoEmbrace (Multicultural), SercoUnlimited (Disability) and In@Serco (LGBT & Networks). Serco Employee Networks, led by colleagues who are passionate about diversity, inclusion and belonging.
Please click on the apply button to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
We're a Disability Confident employer and are committed to equal opportunities. If you have any additional queries, requirements or you need more time to apply, then please contact our recruitment team directly on 0345 010 4000. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.
Serco supports fair access to employment for those with unspent criminal convictions through the Ban the Box' pledge (some may be exempt due to the nature of the role and the security clearance required).