Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Compensation: £39,408 - £44,044 + Benefits
Role Type: Full Time / Permanent
Job ID: SF42400
You will be joining a growing team at our Devonport site. Within the Facilities Engineering Technical Authority you will provide engineering support and advice and undertake design activities relating to Mechanical Services across and within the dockyard facilities. This includes the maintenance and control of modifications to the design intent of mechanical systems and equipment across the Devonport Site, Devonport Nuclear Licensed Site and Ministry of Defence Authorised Site. You will be a core member of the Mechanical Systems team, delivering design solutions and technical authority responsibilities to the business.
Who we are looking for?
We're looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to join us at HMNB Devonport, one of the largest naval bases in Western Europe. We're a key strategic partner to our customers; the MOD and the Royal Navy. We ensure that the UK Royal Navy goes to sea safely by supporting them in Devonport and around the world, delivering complex ship and submarine sustainment programmes and applying our core strengths of technology and expertise to sustain critical and complex assets to help maintain national security.
What will you be doing?
Your primary focus will be maintaining and controlling modifications to, and deviations from, the design intent of nuclear implicated and non-nuclear mechanical systems and acting as the custodian of reference design documentation. You will work primarily with process plant and piping systems. You will be responsible for undertaking design activities from requirements capture, design development, implementation and close out, to through-life support, decommissioning and disposal. You will be focused on ensuring compliance with License Conditions, statutory legislation and design codes/standards, producing design guidance, substantiation and analyses, and delivering against agreed budgets/timescales.
The experience you'll bring
You will need a proven background as a Mechanical Design Engineer with knowledge of mechanical services systems;
* Steam & Condensate Systems, Industrial Gases, Demineralised Water, Salt Water & Chilled Water, HVAC, Domestic Water Services, Technical substantiation, Computer Aided Design and engineering
* Demonstrable experience of having applied the whole design lifecycle.
* A minimum of a Higher National Certificate in a relevant engineering discipline is essential
What a role with Babcock offers?
We believe in creating an inclusive working environment based on dignity and respect, bringing together individuals from many different backgrounds to give us fresh perspectives and new ideas whilst working towards giving back to the environment to build a sustainable future.
* 25 days holiday entitlements + bank holidays + flexible working
* Working "Location Flexible" in the Babcock Agile Working Practices Framework. This means that you will split your time between home and the Devonport site, for the time being, mainly working from home.
* Pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary
* Employee Share plan
* Free Independent Employee assistance programme (offering support and counselling 24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
* A tailored personal development and training programme
* Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Please visit our website to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please visit our website to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting recuritment and on-boarding.