General Description of Job:
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible to the Site Manager for the interpretation of engineering drawings, sketches and/or verbal instruction to install, repair or assemble items to specified standards, whilst ensuring quality and delivery on time and within budget. The role also provides general engineering capability to the team as well as short-term resource for various Engineering Tasked Services (EST) activities. As a mechanical engineer you will be responsible for fault finding and fixing, you will be assembling and dissembling motors, jack screws, braking mechanisms and many other mechanical processes. Having a strong technical background and a creative mind is a must; constantly developing new ideas and bringing them to life is the crux of the job. The role may require occasional travel and limited deployment at locations both in the UK and overseas.
* To carry out all operational and maintenance checks taking responsibility for corrective actions, as and when issues are identified
* Conduct fault-finding on equipment as required
* Testing of components in a workshop environment. Reads and interprets circuit diagrams and electrical schematics.
* Carry out maintenance and repair of equipment including
* Removal/installation of line replacement units
* Fulfil pre-planned preventative maintenance plans according to the engineering schedule.
* Capable of machining work (including turning and milling) to close tolerances working to sketches, engineering drawings and verbal instructions as appropriate.
* Able to carry out welding maintenance activities including the maintenance and calibration of welding equipment.
* Work in a safe and efficient manner at all times to produce quality assured products.
* To ensure that all related documentation is submitted for approval prior to undertaking and on completion of all tasks.
* Maintain excellent housekeeping standards across all engineering areas
* Use of MIS and Computer applications for planning and recording all works.
* To ensure all items are installed and assembled to engineering standards, as dictated by professional bodies, ensuring best practice is employed in all activities.
* Ensure safe and cost effective use of workshop equipment, welding machinery, hand tools and facilities.
* Provide support for other staff working within a given area including apprentices and new starters
* Able to deploy to Customer sites as required to undertake installation and assembly work or other EST activities within their skill set or ability.
Technical Experience and Qualifications
* Must possess or be able to obtain and retain DV clearance.
* ONC/HNC in Mechanical Engineering or time served indentured mechanical apprenticeship.
* City & Guilds Part 1, 2 and 3 - Welding and Fabrication.
* Familiar with Air handling Units
* Registered with the Engineering Council
* A good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, SharePoint and Excel.
* Use of Management Information System
* Ability to work at height.
* EFAW/FAW qualification.
* Mobile Elevating Work Platform maintenance and operation.
What else do I need to know?
* All applicants must have the legal right to work in the UK and be subject to satisfactory security clearance which includes 3 years reference checks. Verification of any qualifications/passport/licences must be shown at interview stage.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview
If you are currently employed by Babcock/Cavendish Nuclear please let your line manager know that you're applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment.
If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.