Salary up to £30,000
About the role
Here at Babcock, we are looking for a Mechanical Technician who will be responsible to the Site Manager for the interpretation of engineering drawings, sketches and/or verbal instruction to install, repair or assemble items to specified standards, whilst ensuring quality and delivery on time and within budget. The role also provides general engineering capability to the team as well as short-term resource for various Engineering Tasked Services (EST) activities.
As a mechanical technician you will be responsible for fault finding and fixing, you will be assembling and dissembling motors, jack screws, braking mechanisms and many other mechanical processes. Having a strong technical background and a creative mind is a must; constantly developing new ideas and bringing them to life is the crux of the job. The role may require occasional travel and limited deployment at locations both in the UK and overseas.
The role will involve:
- Carrying out all operational and maintenance checks taking responsibility for corrective actions, as and when issues are identified, conduct fault-finding on equipment as required and testing of components in a workshop environment.
- Read and interpret circuit diagrams and electrical schematics.
- Maintenance and repair of equipment including removal/installation of line replacement units and fulfil pre-planned preventative maintenance plans according to the engineering schedule.
- Machining work (including turning and milling) to close tolerances working to sketches, engineering drawings and verbal instructions as appropriate
- Welding maintenance activities including the maintenance and calibration of welding equipment.
What do I need to do the job?
You will require an ONC/HNC in Mechanical Engineering or time served indentured mechanical apprenticeship.
We also require you to have experience of the following:
* City & Guilds Part 1, 2 and 3 - Welding and Fabrication. (desirable)
* Familiar with Air handling Units (desirable)
* A good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, SharePoint and Excel.
* Ability to work at height.
What else do I need to know?
* The successful candidate must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role.
* We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
About Babcock International
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly-skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure and specialist training.
We're committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. The benefits you can expect to enjoy include a generous holiday entitlement, competitive money purchase pension scheme with life assurance and a share ownership scheme. You'll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account and apply for a job. Once you've completed this you'll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties please check our career website for more information. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strives to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and we will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week's special paid leave to help them meet their commitments. To find out more please check our career website for more information.