Job Title: Mission Systems Engineer
Location: Bristol or Plymouth or Rosyth, UK - Hybrid - working from home options available
Compensation: Competitive Salary + benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: SF45695
Build the Future
At Babcock, we're working to create a safe and secure world, together, and if you join us, you can play your part as a Mission Systems Engineer in Bristol, Plymouth or Rosyth.
As an international defence company, we support and enhance our customers' defence and security capabilities and critical assets, meeting their requirements of value for money, increased availability, modernisation and flexibility.
Marine Engineering & Systems - Shipbuilding Export Variants
Mission Systems Engineer role is based within Marine Engineering & Systems - Shipbuilding Export Variants.
Babcock is rapidly establishing itself as an international Naval ship designer and builder. We have built on the success of the UK MoD Type 31 Frigate and have secured contracts for frigate export variants (AH140) with overseas customers. As well as supporting exports of frigates the engineering team is actively working on other ship newbuild and life extension programs around the world, from small fast attack craft all the way up to aircraft carriers.
We are looking to significantly expand our engineering and ship design teams to exploit these opportunities, so if you are interested in taking your career in an exciting new direction, consider Babcock.
You will join a national team of over 800 engineers and designers within the Marine Sector of Babcock. We are a leading design consultancy providing naval architecture, marine system engineering, electrical engineering, design modelling and project support services to the marine and defence markets. We have base offices in Bristol, Rosyth or Plymouth, and offer flexible working with office attendance and travel to meet project requirements.
The difference our new Mission Systems Engineer will make
As a Mission Systems Engineer, you'll have a role that's out of the ordinary. This is a highly prestigious position within our complex shipbuilding programme, developing designs through concept and early-stage design as well as supporting the bidding process.
Day-to-day, you will contribute to the development and realisation of ship designs through the provision of broad technical understanding of Combat, Communications and Navigation Systems and onboard networks and their integration together and integration / installation into Naval Ships.
You will be responsible for engagement with customers to develop and agree an unambiguous statement of requirements. You will support the assessment of sensor and weapon suites for concept designs. Objectively assess different design options, produce design documentation in support of a bid or project lifecycle, preparing and checking design documentation as required to time, cost and quality. As well as contribute to Design Reviews.
In addition, you will belong to the wider engineering capability group and will have the opportunity to support other projects in different roles within your discipline.
At Babcock, we have a history of helping talent go far, you'll continually develop your knowledge and expertise.
- Ideally, you will be Degree qualified but HND/HNC level qualification in an engineering discipline with extensive experience in relevant field will be considered
- You will be a member of a relevant institution, and either hold chartered status or be able to demonstrate a planned route to chartership
- You will have a broad level of developed knowledge as the role is directly accountable for aspects of design development and contributes to the generation of solutions to problems and issues within your specialist subject area
- You will have previous experience in being involved in integration of one or more of these areas (Combat/ Communications / Navigation / Networks) into marine platforms
- You will have experience in owning and delivering within the development of mission systems integration on marine platforms
- Either already UK Security cleared or able for achieve clearance
What we offer
- Generous holiday allowance of 25 days plus 8 bank holidays
- Reservist in the armed forces receive 10 days special paid leave
- Matched contribution pension scheme up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Employee assistance programme (wellbeing)
- Flexible benefits (cycle to work, discounts, Shared Ownership)
For over 130 years, we have helped to defend nations, protect communities and build a better world. To continue, we must adapt, advance and be a sustainable business with a shared goal. Change begins with our people and our shared Principles: be curious; be courageous; own and deliver; think: outcomes; collaborate; and be kind. These values not only guide the way we work, but also our efforts to reach net-zero carbon.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community. If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments.
All applications to be made online. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments, please let us know. We're committed to building an inclusive culture where everyone's free to thrive.