Are you an experienced Mortgage Underwriter? Are you details focused and always on the ball? Can you provide unparalleled levels of service, by guiding customers through one of the most important journeys of their lives? If yes, then we may have the role for you.
Our Mortgage Underwriting team is growing, we are looking for a number of underwriters to take our customer offering to a whole new level. As a Mortgage Underwriter, you will make sure appropriate lending decisions are made in a well-timed manner, whilst providing support for colleagues with mortgage enquiries and applications, providing incredible levels of service as you go!
So what will you be doing?
• Making mortgage lending decisions in line with lending authorities and the Bank’s lending policy
• Supporting and guiding colleagues on all matters relating to the underwriting and completion of mortgages
• Managing decisions on enquiries, new applications and responding within agreed time frames
• Working to continually improve the development of the Bank’s mortgage proposition with customers and intermediaries
You need to be this kind of person…
• Passionate about providing unparalleled levels of service and convenience for customers
• Able to work and learn quickly in a fast paced, fun and dynamic environment
• Prepared to stick at something – we get nervous if someone has jumped from job to job as we want people who are prepared to learn and grow
• Care about doing a great job and exceeding expectations with the quality of what you do
And... we are a bank so risk is a part of everything we do. We love people who take responsibility, do the right thing for customers, colleagues and Metro Bank and have the courage to call out any concerns.
We always support colleagues to develop their skills. But to be successful in this job you really do need to already be able to do most of these wonderful things...
• Understand the risks associated with your job and what that means for you, Metro Bank and all our stakeholders
• Naturally you will have previous experience working in residential mortgage lending
• A background working in Mortgage Underwriting or Relationship Management, ideally with at least 3 years’ experience
• You would need to have strong knowledge of mortgage regulation and legal requirements; ideally holding or be working towards a CeMap qualification.
• It would be great if you had a detailed understanding of the mortgage industry, competitors, market trends and different products. This includes Portfolio Buy-to-Let, Limited Company Buy-to-Let, Near/Sub Prime, Shared Ownership and Government Lending Schemes (eg:- Help to Buy)
Diverse teams really are the best teams. We know that candidates (especially women, research tells us) may be put off applying for a job unless they can tick every box. We also know that ‘normal’ office hours aren’t always doable, and while we can’t accommodate every flexible working request we are happy to be asked. So if you are excited about working with us and think you can do much of what we are looking for but aren’t sure if you are 100% there yet… why not give it a whirl? Please note that sometimes we may close a job earlier for applications if we are inundated with amazing candidates.. Good luck!